Lethargic chicken, off feed, could I have poisoned them with Avocadoes?

kmlmgm

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I posted yesterday about my 4 month old pullet, she was acting droopy, feathers fluffed, runny poop, and eating very little (did eat some meal worms). Today the poop looks normal, but she won't eat anything on her own, I am syringe feeding her yogurt/honey/olive oil. I was reading about all the things chickens shouldn't eat and somehow, I had no idea Avocadoes were bad for them. I have been giving them compost scraps, which includes many Avocado peels and pits. Could this be the problem? If so, what can I do? The rest of the hens seem fine, she is one of 3 younger ones and the other 2, in the same family, are fine.

I posted yesterday about my 4 month old pullet, she was acting droopy, feathers fluffed, runny poop, and eating very little (did eat some meal worms). Today the poop looks normal, but she won't eat anything on her own, I am syringe feeding her yogurt/honey/olive oil. I was reading about all the things chickens shouldn't eat and somehow, I had no idea Avocadoes were bad for them. I have been giving them compost scraps, which includes many Avocado peels and pits. Could this be the problem? If so, what can I do? The rest of the hens seem fine, she is one of 3 younger ones and the other 2, in the same family, are fine.
It could be because of the Avocadoes, but I think that Coccidiosis is more likely. I'd get some Corid (amprol) from a livestock supply store and start treating her. The Corid liquid dosage is 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of drinking water, and the Corid powder dosage is 1/2-3/4 teaspoon powder per gallon of drinking water. Continue the treatment for 5-7 days; improvement should be seen after the first 3.

Back
Top Bottom