Lethargic Chicken... UPDATE-Another hen sick!

MikasGirl

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Coos Bay, OR
This morning when I went to check on the chickens I noticed that my 6 month old pullet, Moxie, was acting very strange. Usually one of the first girls out of the coop, I found her sleeping on the roost bars. When I gently pushed her out the coop door she just stood on the ramp and made no attempt to run around and flap her wings with her other pullet friends like she always does. I immediately brought her inside and gave her vitamins. At first I thought maybe she was in shock from being "mated". (We acquired a young roo a couple months ago, he was quarantined, has no illnesses, etc. Moxie hates him and always chases him around, as far as I've seen he has never even gotten close to mating her because she always beats him up) But then I noticed that her droppings weren't normal. (I've had her inside all day and see only a few droppings- coloring is a greenish color) I know she isn't dehydrated because they always have water, so that wouldn't explain the few droppings thing. Tomorrow I'm starting her on Duramycin just in case, but other than that I have no idea what to do. I'm so worried and if anyone has any advice at all, PLEASE let me know. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
UPDATE- Let the chickens out this morning and found Sunshine, a 2 year old hen making weird sounds. Almost like a goose, and kind of wheezy. That is the only symptom she is showing. I started ALL of the chickens on Duramycin. Please please please help. I have no idea what is wrong with my chickens......

Another update-The description from this thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=342224 reminds me a lot of what's happening to me...
Two of our hens are lethargic, sort of "puffy" and acting like they have something stuck in their throats (wheezing, coughing, shaking their heads). They did not go for their feed or water like they usually do....The two hens were very normal yesterday afternoon/evening; it was only first thing this am that I noticed something is not right....one of the two hens has green droppings (not normal)

I've decided to give them some Pedialyte, the only problem is I have no idea how much to give them.... Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?​

Last edited:
Sorry I am brand new to this but didn't want you to have no replies. Someone, will respond in the am I am sure. Meanwhile, sending you good thoughts. Sounds like you are taking good measures.

I once had a sick welsummer pullet who had become "narcoleptic" (falling asleep for no apparent reason in the middle of her daily chicken activities). I was advised by a very knowledgeable lady to buy a vitamin and electrolyte supplement at my local feed store that I added to the water. I was also advisd to put her on an antibiotic and, if necessary, to inject it. This lady was really sweet and even showed me how, but when it came time to do it, I couldn't. So we put the vitamin/electrolyte supplement along with the Duramycin in the drinking water for 2 weeks and EVERYBODY started doing much better, especially Martha (the welsummer pullet). The vitamin/electrolyte supplement is like Pedialyte for chickens. Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok for your babies!

BTW, my pullets still aren't laying yet, and Martha's the youngest of this spring's pullets (I only have 5), but she is the sweetest thing now and comes running to me every single time I step out into the yard. She "tolerates" me petting her sometimes, too. But she does come and like to sit next to me and is no longer narcoleptic. So we had a happy ending here with the Duramycin and vitamin/electrolyte combination added to their water.

Last edited:
I wish i could help. I have been having similar issues. Have lost 4 chickens out of 23 so far and currently have one isolated. I think the first 2 were cocci, and next was sudden death cause unknown and my last ... this morning was something else. Maybe a brain disease. She (5 month old columbian) was normally well but over the last few weeks became more quiet and withdrawn. I thought maybe it was because of the roosters at her all the time. Last few days had been eating and drinking but sleeping more and her eyes dis not seem to work together. After burying her today I found my silverlaced whynott sitting fluffed in the waterer. I have brought her in and started her on Amprol for ? cocci. I may add some neomycin and stress aid too. Chickens are a stressful creature. I hope your girl gets better.

If it's respiratory you might need a different antibiotic. Tylan or Baytril is good. If she's not eating she will get weak. Bright green is not good. Is she being bullied away from the food by other hens?
I lost a chicken or two from the heat. I now dunk their bottom half in a pan of water and cool them off. I put ice in their water as well.
But if you're hearing respirator noises, it's probably respiratory.
Could it be gapeworm? Put that in search at the top of the page.

The one that makes weird noises is Sunshine, not Moxie. (The sicklier one..) I have been force feeding Moxie w/ a mixture of Layer Crumble, gatorade, vitamins, yogurt, and antibiotic water. She HATES it, but I'm trying to make sure she gets something inside of her. The first night I did it, she barely struggled. But the past few times, she has been struggling a lot. (I don't want to call this a good thing yet, because then I'll get my hopes up..) Alright, here are some pictures:

Sunny's droppings: (I've also seen some normal ones from her too..)
P1020893.jpg

Moxie's droppings
P1020889.jpg

Mox just stands like this all day, she hardly ever lays down..
P1020885.jpg

More Moxie pictures:
P1020869.jpg

P1020874.jpg

Thank you everyone, I'll look up gapeworm right now. The other hens don't chase her away.. not even the rooster does because he gets beat up by her...

Gosh, I seem to ask this Q a lot, but, might she be egg-bound? I had a "just fine" hen go all lethargic on me....stayed on the roost or hid in the corner. She was young, just started laying when all of a sudden, she took on that stance of general misery that Moxie is postured in. I don't know where I came up with the egg-bound possibility. Quickly helped her out with some olive oil (I didn't have any vaseline) and shortly thereafter, out came two very soft shelled eggs. And then she was up and running around. That was a year ago.
I don't know if this is your problem. But I hope you find a solution very very soon...
hugs.gif

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom