Lethargic chicken

Nicki1002

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Hi all. Despite having chickens for a while, this is my first issue and I’m not sure where to start.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Sold as Rhode Island Red, age 3. She’s always been smaller, but she feels skinnier than normal.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic, lots of poop on her vent. No reaction to being picked up. I thought she was sunbathing a couple of days ago, but now I think she’s lethargic. Tail is tucked and she seems out of it. Seems to have a little head tick. Closing her eyes to sleep.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No obvious injuries. No blood in poop.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not sure
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating and drinking yesterday, but I just presented her with berries and lettuce and she pecked at them but didn’t eat. Hasn’t had any water since I brought her in.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. runny and stuck to her butt.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just brought her inside.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Home care only
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
My coop and run are currently pretty wet as the snow os melting. I use wood shavings.
f730d8fb-bc9b-47d8-8ed4-aca214b0b7e1-jpeg.3466084

Attachments

• F730D8FB-BC9B-47D8-8ED4-ACA214B0B7E1.jpeg
    F730D8FB-BC9B-47D8-8ED4-ACA214B0B7E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
  • 1F32035D-DBCF-4B35-8726-C0F33BDA3197.jpeg
    1F32035D-DBCF-4B35-8726-C0F33BDA3197.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 3
Is she currently laying eggs? The upright posture looks like a bird that is egg bound, has ascites, or some other extreme discomfort in the back end. How does the area between her legs and below her vent feel? Any lumps that might be eggs or squishiness that would indicate ascites? Is her crop normal or does it feel fluid-filled/too large for how little she is eating?

I'd try giving her a warm epsom salt bath and cleaning up her rear. Give some calcium supplement (calcium citrate or Tums) in case of egg binding. I also usually give a little sugar water or nutri-drench water to birds that are struggling.

Be cautious in soaking her if she is weak and sick, since that could push her over the edge. But try to clean her vent area. Has she lost weight? Is her crop emptying overnight? I agree with razzledazzle that she may have one of several reproductive disorders. She could be egg bound or have internal laying with egg masses inside her abdomen. Calcium with vitamin d can help if egg bound. Hormone implants while expensive, can be given by vets to stop laying for up to 6 months.

Is she currently laying eggs? The upright posture looks like a bird that is egg bound, has ascites, or some other extreme discomfort in the back end. How does the area between her legs and below her vent feel? Any lumps that might be eggs or squishiness that would indicate ascites? Is her crop normal or does it feel fluid-filled/too large for how little she is eating?

I'd try giving her a warm epsom salt bath and cleaning up her rear. Give some calcium supplement (calcium citrate or Tums) in case of egg binding. I also usually give a little sugar water or nutri-drench water to birds that are struggling.
I soaked her in warm water to clean her very dirty vent area. I don’t feel an egg back there, but it did feel kind of squishy. Will have to go feel a different chicken bum to see what’s normal I guess. There was a sort of heaving motion happening back there. Does this sound like she’s trying to lay but can’t? Not sure if she’s laid recently as she’s in with 14 other chickens. I got some electrolytes in her, which she seemed eager to take after the first few drops.

Be cautious in soaking her if she is weak and sick, since that could push her over the edge. But try to clean her vent area. Has she lost weight? Is her crop emptying overnight? I agree with razzledazzle that she may have one of several reproductive disorders. She could be egg bound or have internal laying with egg masses inside her abdomen. Calcium with vitamin d can help if egg bound. Hormone implants while expensive, can be given by vets to stop laying for up to 6 months.
She’s my smallest chicken, but I could feel every bone in her just now cleaning her vent. Could you tell me how I know if her crop is emptying overnight? No lumps in her body anywhere that I could feel. But as I said in another reply, the area around her vent was squishy and there was a heaving motion happening.

Just went back and felt her crop, and it was quite squishy. I noticed a kind of rotten smell a couple of times when I was cleaning her and just now when I pushed on the crop. She sort of burped when I pushed on it.

An enlarged spongy lower belly between the legs could possibly be ascites (water belly) or a reproductive disorder. Feel some crops of your other chickens. They should feel empty first thing in the morning before they eat or drink. They should be full and slightly firm by evening. If hers is not empty in the morning, but is full and firm, doughy, or puffy/soft in early morning, then she may have a crop disorder.

Just went back and felt her crop, and it was quite squishy. I noticed a kind of rotten smell a couple of times when I was cleaning her and just now when I pushed on the crop. She sort of burped when I pushed on it.
Okay, that could be sour crop. That can be a fungal infection. Womens cream, Monistat cream 1/2 inch can be given orally twice a day to help. Here is a good article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom