Lethargic chicken

Do I just force feed it to her? Or should I try to put it in/on other food? She’s not eating much. Dilute with water?
I can sometimes get my girls to eat medicine in between to bits of bread, which is definitely the easiest way if they'll go for it, but you can also just open up the beak and squeeze in some to the back corner of their mouth. If you;ve got someone to hold her wrapped in a towel, you can get her to open her mouth by holding her comb near her beak in one hand and gently pulling down on her wattles with the other.

Okay, that could be sour crop. That can be a fungal infection. Womens cream, Monistat cream 1/2 inch can be given orally twice a day to help. Here is a good article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
An update. I’ve got two doses of Monistat in her, and she fought it a bit this morning, which I take to be a good sign. She’s more steady on her feet today, though she’s mostly just laying down under the heat lamp. When I went into her space this morning it smelled very strongly of sulfur. That’s also what it smells like when I put pressure on her crop. Seems like this is headed in the right direction. Should I still be forcing water on her? I don’t think she’s drinking on her own. But I did read that adding contents to the crop is not ideal just now. She doesn’t want to eat anyway.

They really need water and some easily digested food, even with sour crop. The water helps flush the crop contents and prevents dehydration. Soft scrambled egg, a little mushy wet chicken crumbles or pellets, and plain Greek yogurt are good ones to vary.

They really need water and some easily digested food, even with sour crop. The water helps flush the crop contents and prevents dehydration. Soft scrambled egg, a little mushy wet chicken crumbles or pellets, and plain Greek yogurt are good ones to vary.
That makes sense. Bodies can’t fight illness without water and nutrients. Forced some egg into her. Thanks for your investment in my chicken. I really appreciate your help!

Check her crop each morning to see if it has emptied. Hopefully, the Monistat will start working, and appetite will return. Let us know how her poops look tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom