Lethargic chicken

Sc Owell Farm

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Last year, we had a golden sexlink that became very lethargic suddenly. She went from happy and healthy to pushing her head against the coop wall and being non responsive. As it was winter, we brought her inside and she perked right up. We acclimated her back outside with the flock and found she passed away a couple days later. The rest of the flock was unchanged.

Now, about nine months later, another hen of the same breed and brood is exhibiting the same symptoms: lethargic, puffed up feathers, pale face and comb.

We brought her in right away for a warm bath and high calcium intake. I completed an exam and could not feel any signs of egg bind. We currently have her inside and comfortable to see what signs her excrement may give us...

I first want to thank those who have posted previously- without this, we would have known what steps to take.

Second I would like to ask if there is anything more we could or should be doing.

Thank you so much to this amazing community!

We have 20 hens currently, and are not sure when she last laid. She's been separated since yesterday evening and has not laid today, nor has she pooped.

Her crop does not feel firm or full, but feels a bit like a poorly inflated balloon. We haven't noticed sour smelling breath, but perhaps it's sour crop?

If she hasn't pooped yet today and she hasn't laid, then I would have to think she's egg bound. Sometimes you just can't feel the egg. Have you felt around inside her vent?

Sure did, but couldn't feel anything. We fed her calcium and have her a warm bath, but no luck.

After massaging her crop, we tried a suggestion from another article in the forum for sour crop, holding her upside down. Her crop emptied and was incredibly sour.

Provided plenty of fresh water and she seems to be doing better! We're keeping her isolated until she's better and continuing to check for poop or an egg. I'll do another exam once she's had some time to rest as I'm still concerned about egg bind.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sure did, but couldn't feel anything. We fed her calcium and have her a warm bath, but no luck.

After massaging her crop, we tried a suggestion from another article in the forum for sour crop, holding her upside down. Her crop emptied and was incredibly sour.

Provided plenty of fresh water and she seems to be doing better! We're keeping her isolated until she's better and continuing to check for poop or an egg. I'll do another exam once she's had some time to rest as I'm still concerned about egg bind.

Thank you so much for your help!
That's great that you were able to get that figures out! I would definitely still keep an eye on her though. Keep me posted!

That's great that you were able to get that figures out! I would definitely still keep an eye on her though. Keep me posted!
Will do! Thank you so much! She's moving more and becoming more responsive😊

So thankful to have this community!

Almost through with 7 days of monistat treatment and massage and she's much better! Still separated and not eating much, but alert and active, drinking plenty of water 😊

Back
Top Bottom