lethargic chicken

There is a chance this behavior is egg related. She may be struggling to lay an egg. It's been my experience that a shell-less egg can cause a hen to feel "off", probably because the egg doesn't move at the rate of a regular egg, so the hen may be feeling "backed up". Try giving her one tablet of calcium citrate as it works quickest by stimulating contractions.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

There is a chance this behavior is egg related. She may be struggling to lay an egg. It's been my experience that a shell-less egg can cause a hen to feel "off", probably because the egg doesn't move at the rate of a regular egg, so the hen may be feeling "backed up". Try giving her one tablet of calcium citrate as it works quickest by stimulating contractions.View attachment 3527411
I think you’re right @azygous because I had a pullet last year show this same behavior before and after a shell less egg. and I believe you were the one who told me about the calcium citrate! this australorp did attempt laying this morning but I didn’t find an egg of hers in that box. the day I had her in the garage she also appeared to be nesting but never laid one, and I can’t confirm any of the eggs from yesterday were hers either. how do you suggest I get her to actually eat the tablet?

Pry open her beak and push the whole tablet in. She'll swallow. If this is egg related, the pill will produce results in a few hours.
so I was able to give her the calcium tab yesterday, chopped up in pieces in a spoon of yogurt. (I could NOT get the whole tab into her beak even with two daughters helping me, if there’s a trick to that let me know!) either way she ate the whole thing. she spent the day with the flock and seemed fine, but no egg.

by the end of the evening I didn’t see her, turns out she had gone to roost early and was standing on the bar looking really uncomfortable with the tail down. I brought her back inside and she spent the night. before going to bed I gloved up and checked her vent again for a stuck egg and as far as I could reach I felt absolutely nothing.

she started eating first thing this morning once I turned the light on. all today I continue to check on her and she’s been on and off getting into a nesting position, but still no egg. she’s been pooping, though they look smaller like chick poops. she’s alert and chirps when I come to see her. I’m still holding out for an egg, or some other indication of what this is. it seems very on and off, but when she’s off she looks so uncomfortable!
A79E963E-3540-4276-995F-8740BB1757D1.jpeg
B7B30B36-365A-4C37-8B98-EF81CB90EA34.jpeg

The skimpy poop is another indication of a blockage. Give her another calcium tablet. Wrap her in a towel securely to confine wings and feet. This also calms the chicken. Then pry open the beak by using a fingernail to get the beak to open enough to slip a finger into the side to hold it open. Then place the whole tablet on the tongue. The pill will then slide down into the crop.

Place her crate in a dim, quiet place with no activity going on to distract the hen. Give her a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar in it to drink. Offer some food too in case she wishes to eat, then leave her in peace and quiet. Check on her hourly, but apart from that, keep people and pets away.

The skimpy poop is another indication of a blockage. Give her another calcium tablet. Wrap her in a towel securely to confine wings and feet. This also calms the chicken. Then pry open the beak by using a fingernail to get the beak to open enough to slip a finger into the side to hold it open. Then place the whole tablet on the tongue. The pill will then slide down into the crop.

Place her crate in a dim, quiet place with no activity going on to distract the hen. Give her a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar in it to drink. Offer some food too in case she wishes to eat, then leave her in peace and quiet. Check on her hourly, but apart from that, keep people and pets away.
great tips thank you so much. her pen is in the closed garage away from the rest of the house which stays quiet and dark (I put a light over her just to take the photo) so I will keep her there. thank you for the quick reply and tips for getting the calcium in, will do this now!

so it’s been over 5 hours since the calcium and letting her rest and I’ve been checking hourly. no egg. she’s been in the same position just laying down, not looking particularly awful just sitting quietly, and she chirps when I come in to look at her. do I plan to leave her for another night and see what happens tomorrow? the calcium pill I gave her earlier was only 315mg (the bottle says serving size is 2) was that enough?

Back
Top Bottom