Lethargic Chicks

Nichrome

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Yesterday a small batch of eggs hatched but after work, when I went home to see what has hatched and what not I found 3 chinese and 1 cali hatched, 2 bobs and 2 cots pipped and died.

Apart from the casualties, what was strange is that the hatched chicks were all asleep. Knowing that chicks sleep a lot, I did not mind it much but this morning I went back to check on them and I found them all asleep once again! No chirping no movement no nothing. Now I'm starting to worry. Eggs were not old and parents are very well fed with protein and vitamin supplements.

I have heard that some people give chicks an energy drink of sugar and vitamins with a syringe. Should I do it? If yes, what is the recipe?

are they still in the incubator? or are they in a brooder? and are they separated by type of quail? the reason I ask this is Chinese aka button quail are way too small to be with other types of quail. I do not know much about the others but buttons also need food and water within an hour of hatching. as soon as they are dry they should be moved to a brooder and food should be on the floor so they can find it. You might need to show them the water dish and be sure it has lots of marbles or stones so they can not fall in and get wet or drown.

and you can add electrolytes to the water if you want but it should not be needed.

I raise different chichs together without any problem.
The Chinese are running around and eating all the time but the cali is spending most of his time sleeping. I have showed him the water and sprinkled food around him several times but never seen him eat or drink.
Today is the stArt of the 3rd day; Should I do anything?

Back
Top Bottom