Lethargic Crevecoeur

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Hi all!

Our two-year old Crevecoeur hen has been very lethargic since yesterday. She just stands or lays down in the run while the other eleven hens free range. She has no visible wounds and none of the other hens are aggressive or pick on her.

Background:
*All of the chickens are molting *a lot* and egg production is way down (2 or so eggs/day for 10 laying hens)
*We have Mareks in our flock, although we haven't had an outbreak in four years and she is showing none of the telltale signs
*The chickens have been vaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis (although I understand neither one is 100% effective)
*I have seen no evidence of worms

What would you do to rule out diseases? Does this sound like any kind of behavior your chickens have exhibited? We have a vet nearby who treats birds, but our experience has been that she doesn't really know much about diseases affecting chickens.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Does she have any water/bubbles in her eyes? Has she been sneezing/coughing? You might want to try gently feeling down her legs and feet and see if she flinches when you do so. I would also recommend checking for bumblefoot, because that can cause them to be a lot less active. You could also try giving her legs and stomach area an epsom salt bath, because that could help if she might be having stomach/leg pain or tension. Hope this helps!

Hi LabMomma,

Thank you so much! I'm going to check her more closely this evening. She's usually really flighty, but has been much more docile and easier to handle now that she's not feeling well.

Hi LabMomma,

Thank you so much! I'm going to check her more closely this evening. She's usually really flighty, but has been much more docile and easier to handle now that she's not feeling well.
You're welcome! Keep us updated

Yesterday I checked the chicken for any signs of illness and the only thing I noticed was that her crop was squishy, she was still lethargic, and she was kind of puffed up. I gently massaged her crop and could tell it hurt her a little.

Unfortunately, I found her dead this morning :( She was a sweet, funny looking little bird and she'll be missed.

All of our chickens free range most days, get plenty of grit (the bottom of the run is sand and the place they free range is pretty sandy with no grass or leafy vegetation), and they don't have moldy food. So if this was sour crop, I don't know how she got it. A few of the little Mediterranean birds jump a high fence into a neighbor's yard, but they don't have grass either).

Because we have Mareks in our flock, I'm always hyper vigilant for those symptoms, but she didn't have any of the tell-tale signs.

Have you ever had sour crop in your flock? Do these symptoms seem like possible sour crop?

Thanks again!

Yesterday I checked the chicken for any signs of illness and the only thing I noticed was that her crop was squishy, she was still lethargic, and she was kind of puffed up. I gently massaged her crop and could tell it hurt her a little.

Unfortunately, I found her dead this morning :( She was a sweet, funny looking little bird and she'll be missed.

All of our chickens free range most days, get plenty of grit (the bottom of the run is sand and the place they free range is pretty sandy with no grass or leafy vegetation), and they don't have moldy food. So if this was sour crop, I don't know how she got it. A few of the little Mediterranean birds jump a high fence into a neighbor's yard, but they don't have grass either).

Because we have Mareks in our flock, I'm always hyper vigilant for those symptoms, but she didn't have any of the tell-tale signs.

Have you ever had sour crop in your flock? Do these symptoms seem like possible sour crop?

Thanks again!
I’m so sorry! I lost one of my hens back in August, so I know how you feel. I have never had sour crop in my flock, but it does kind of sound like that is what she had. I’m very sorry!

Back
Top Bottom