Lethargic, diarrhea then shell-less egg

After a few hours of acting normal she went in the coop and laid on the floor. I brought her inside and have her in a dark spot by herself. Idk what to do next

After a few hours of acting normal she went in the coop and laid on the floor. I brought her inside and have her in a dark spot by herself. Idk what to do next
AA9597D7-3B7C-4E51-B3BC-11FAA0A1981A.jpeg
Here’s a poop pic. She’s currently sleeping in a crate in my closet. I have food, electrolyte water, and plain water with her. She nibbles at the food but I haven’t seen her drink

Last edited:
The poop looks normal.
Thank you, I thought so too. Hopefully that rules out a few illnesses? (It was runny/watery poop earlier).
We’re going to keep her in the crate for tonight. She doesn’t seem eager to leave. Her Tail is still down and she’s extra snoozy. She sure does have an appetite though...if she’s not sleeping she’s eating. I’ve only seen her drink a couple times 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes, I would give her calcium. An extra bit won’t hurt. If you have any kind of human calcium supplement— OsCal, Caltrate, or even Tums (yes, the antacid). For Tums you will give 2 tabs today and then 1 tablet each day for 3 more days -or- until she lays another shelled egg. For the other calcium products, do half that. (1 now, 1/2 x3 days, etc.)

You can crush, or dissolve the tabs in as little water as possible, then mix that with a very small amount of crumble to make a mash. No more than a Tablespoonful, that way you know they’ll eat all of it. A lot of people don’t bother with all that and just pop the tabs in their beak. I’m too afraid they’ll choke. Call me chicken 🤣.

Yes, I would give her calcium. An extra bit won’t hurt. If you have any kind of human calcium supplement— OsCal, Caltrate, or even Tums (yes, the antacid). For Tums you will give 2 tabs today and then 1 tablet each day for 3 more days -or- until she lays another shelled egg. For the other calcium products, do half that. (1 now, 1/2 x3 days, etc.)

You can crush, or dissolve the tabs in as little water as possible, then mix that with a very small amount of crumble to make a mash. No more than a Tablespoonful, that way you know they’ll eat all of it. A lot of people don’t bother with all that and just pop the tabs in their beak. I’m too afraid they’ll choke. Call me chicken 🤣.
Thanks i removed her food bowl for the night and sprinkled a crushed Tum on some of the feed that she had spilled. I’ll make a calcium mash in the am. I hope she makes it through the night ❤️

The egg without shell has nothing to do with not enough calcium in her feed. Chickens in a flock that don’t get enough calcium lay soft shell eggs all the time. Its allways good to give oyster shells on the side but extra calcium in the feed is not the solution for one egg without a shell.

Maybe it was just some kind of hick-up in her ovary system. Its good you gave her some time to recover from that. But it seems she is eating normal again and her poop is normal too. I wouldn’t fuss anymore and bring her back to the flock. Just keep an extra eye on how she’s doing the upcoming days.

i removed her food bowl for the night
How did her crop feel before dark?

This is what I do when a bird is acting 'off':
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
- their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

The egg without shell has nothing to do with not enough calcium in her feed. Chickens in a flock that don’t get enough calcium lay soft shell eggs all the time. Its allways good to give oyster shells on the side but extra calcium in the feed is not the solution for one egg without a shell.

Maybe it was just some kind of hick-up in her ovary system. Its good you gave her some time to recover from that. But it seems she is eating normal again and her poop is normal too. I wouldn’t fuss anymore and bring her back to the flock. Just keep an extra eye on how she’s doing the upcoming days.
I kept her inside overnight and she survived! She was still standing with a droopy tail and not moving much and she’s a bit more alert now. Also she was refusing water. This morning some of her poops are watery again but she drank some water so that’s good

Back
Top Bottom