Lethargic Duckling, need advice please

Sorry this happened! I think if you raise ducks, loss is part of it. I lost 2 adults this year, and a wild duckling last year.. Don’t be hard on yourself, you did all you could. I don’t deal with lost ducks well either, as mine are just pets. Concentrate on the ones you’ve still got, they grow up so fast! :love
That is good advice. And I know it's a part of the natural cycle of things. I've just never had so many did in a row like that. Thank you for your kind words.

If you don't mind me asking, if you no longer order from hatcheries, do you purchase eggs, breed your own ducks or do you shop local?
I have 2 little Runner duckling from my 2 Fawn an White Runners that survived last years shipment and my two drakes from previous hatches. This will be it for me bringing my waterfowl numbers to the round number of 20. Buying from a hatchery was only my second time ever. First was chicks and that one went great. 2 different hatcheries too. Another thing to consider is how crazy everything is right now the USPS has been over whelmed with so many people having to be home an buying online. This just hasn’t been a good year for babies being sent through the mail. I sure hope they will replace your ducklings, I am so sorry you have had to go through this. :hugs

I have 2 little Runner duckling from my 2 Fawn an White Runners that survived last years shipment and my two drakes from previous hatches. This will be it for me bringing my waterfowl numbers to the round number of 20. Buying from a hatchery was only my second time ever. First was chicks and that one went great. 2 different hatcheries too. Another thing to consider is how crazy everything is right now the USPS has been over whelmed with so many people having to be home an buying online. This just hasn’t been a good year for babies being sent through the mail. I sure hope they will replace your ducklings, I am so sorry you have had to go through this. :hugs
That is good advice. And I know it's a part of the natural cycle of things. I've just never had so many did in a row like that. Thank you for your kind words.
my thoughts are really with you. I hope your surviving ducklings thrive. you seem like a terrific duck mom.

I didn't even think about the pandemic impact and extra shipping stress on the USPS, that's a good point. One of my Welsh Harelquin ducklings is a bit more reserved than the rest. Bracing for another death but hoping for the best. I think I'm overly vigilant right now. But I did leave them alone from midnight to 6:30 this morning, and they were all doing ok. The duckling cam helps with anxiety. But I haven't brooded ducks in three years...I feel like I'm re-learning everything over again. We'll see how things go! Thank you for the encouragement!

Sure hope they all do really well now. :fl
My Welsh Harelquin ducklings is now showing similar symptoms 😩 she isn't as active as the other ducklings and sometimes peeps very quietly to herself. Could this be contagious?? I am not sure if it's being passed on to my ducklings or if I'm doing something tragically wrong. Once in awhile she will get up to sit next to another duckling, I saw her drink briefly, she did go poo, it was very watery and am doing all of the same procedures I did with the others that I tried saving. She despises it when I pick her up and peeps very loudly, which I guess is a good sign of her energy. But when ibdip her bill in for water or the electrolyte mix, she rarely puts her head back to swallow. SO DISHEARTENING. Personally I will never order ducklings this late in the year again. Could it be heat exhaustion? But they all cluster below the heat lamp. I'm just so confused and frustrated and I realize this happens I just can't get ahold of the idea of all of my ducklings dying one after another...I hope this little Welshie pulls through. 😭

:hugs I hope so too! Be sure to let the hatchery know too. That another one is acting off. Do you have nutridrench you could give her some drops right on the outside of the bill and can be given straight.

You had some die to didnt you? And yes offer scrambled egg mashed up sure saved my two that had shipping stress just wish I’d remembered to tell you that. Lost two saved two with scrambled egg and prayer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom