Lethargic ducklings

SplinteredSun

Hatching
Mar 4, 2017
I accidentally posted this in new member intros, but I'm posting it again here.

We raise chickens but are new to ducks. Received 7 ducklings (2 magpies, 2 Cayuga and 3 khaki Campbells) from Ideal on Thursday morning. They came with 6 male chicks for warmth, and all of the birds were active when. Moved from box to brooder. Started them with Gro-gel and fresh water, removing Gro-gel and adding non-medicated chick starter. Friday, one magpie was lethargic. I hand fed her poultry electrolyte solution every 2-3 hours around the clock, sometimes adding softened feed to it. She perked up for a bit then slowed back down, and by dinnertime that day wouldn't drink. She died a few hours later. Now one of the Cayuga babies is acting lethargic as well. I switched out the plain water in the waterer for electrolyte solution for the night. Hoping we are not headed for the babies dying off one by one. Is there anything else I can do to help them? The rest all look great, brooder is clean and temp is correct.

You're doing everything I would know to do.
Electrolytes
2705.png

Wet food
2705.png

The only other thing I would do is quarantine and that's only to protect the others... and maybe some probiotic in their feed.

Prayers for baby Cayuga

You'll also need to go to the pharmacy and get plain Niacin tablets (tell the pharmacist NOT time released or flush free, just the normal plain Niacin). It's Vitamin B that ducklings require more than chicks. Crush them up and put 100 mg per gallon in their water.

Or you can sprinkle brewers yeast in their food and this contains Niacin/Vitamin B

Last edited:
I had added niacin to their water already as you described. I switched that water with the electrolyte solution because the solution also contains niacin and ibdidnt want to overdose them.

Well, she didn't make it through the night. The other 5 baby ducks and all 6 packing peanut male chicks all look great and active at this point so hopefully we won't lose any more.

Does anyone know what a typical amount of loss for ducklings is? We only occasionally lose a chick, our last batch of 29, 1 didn't survive shipping and we lost a second one a week later but the remaining 27 are 3 weeks old and doing great. Just wondering if this is just one if those things/bad luck or if I should be concerned. We've. Ever ordered from Ideal before.

I hear ideal is a very reputable hatchery, so don't blame them to quickly. Sometimes babies just don't survive shipping. Don't blame yourself either, you're going everything in your power.

Keep us updated. :)

Well, she didn't make it through the night. The other 5 baby ducks and all 6 packing peanut male chicks all look great and active at this point so hopefully we won't lose any more.

Does anyone know what a typical amount of loss for ducklings is? We only occasionally lose a chick, our last batch of 29, 1 didn't survive shipping and we lost a second one a week later but the remaining 27 are 3 weeks old and doing great. Just wondering if this is just one if those things/bad luck or if I should be concerned. We've. Ever ordered from Ideal before.

I actually read lots of poor reviews from people who ordered from ideal. Many describing exactly what your describing with your ducklings unfortunatly. :(
If you search on this forum for ideal hatchery you will find lots of other experiences as well.
I ordered mine from metzer farms based on reviews. Hoping mine arrive healthy.
I really really wanted a couple magpie ducklings so thats why i was looking into ideal, but decided not to after what i read.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom