Lethargic hen laid shell less egg, ⚠️poop pics

Roja is latergic again, but her tail is not down anymore. Her eye seems to be bothering her. She is constantly scratching it and wiping it with her feathers. I have some oxytetracycline, should i give it to her? Will it help her eye and her latergic state?

Hello, it has been a long time since I have updated. It has been really rough for me and Roja these past weeks. Last week, her sister died due to different causes. Ever since her death, Roja is even more lethargic than before. Now she is my only hen, and I'm worried she'll be depressed by herself. She wouldn't come out of the nesting box unless I took her out. She'll spend almost the entire time sleeping. She still eats and drinks water. It was only until today she was more active. She wasn't in the box when I went to visit her today. When I took her out to play, she started to dig round more, but later she got really tired, and then she'll get a surge of energy and continued playing until got tired again. She kept repeating this cycle today. Also, I managed to remove a chunk of weed from her eye a while back, but now there is pus attached to her eyeball that I can't remove. I'm planning to get tweezers to get it out. I'm a highschool student, and I won't be able to give her all the attention she needs when summer ends. I don't know what I should do. I was thinking of putting her down, to end her suffering, but she is really trying her best to be keep going. I gave her oxytetracycline for a week, but nothing changed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_173112972_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230611_173112972_HDR.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230615_192016070.jpg
    IMG_20230615_192016070.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230615_191922450.jpg
    IMG_20230615_191922450.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 15
I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time :hugs

I'm glad you were able to remove the foxtail from her eye. She may have lost the eye, it's hard to tell from the photos. Do the best you can with keeping the eye cleaned and apply the ointment.

With her going up and down and being a production hybrid that is 5 yrs old, she may be having some reproductive issues. They can wax and wane for a good while. It's difficult to know what to do with her and that is a decision you'll have to make for you and her. Speak with your family to see what they think, ask if she makes it through summer, if they would be willing to help tend to her while you are at school. See if you can find a solution that would best fit all involved.

I got slightly better pictures of her eye. It's hard because whenever I get close, she immediately closes it. I think it is a pile of pus on her eyeball. She no longer stays in the nesting box anymore, now she just sits near her food and water. She also seems to have less energy? I can't really tell. She goes back and forth between being her normal self and being lethargic. Today when I took her out she immediately started foraging and even took a dirt bath, but after a while she got sleepy and jumped to my lap to take a nap and let me pet her. This was very surprising to me, because she has never done that before. She and her sister never liked me touching them, because I guess they weren't used to it. Now, after pooping on me, she is currently digging and picking the ground like usual. I'm continuing cleaning her and a applying ointment on her eye as best I can. If she continues to thrive, i think I'll try to get her along with my dog, so that way when I'm at school she isn't by herself. Or i might figure it out something eventually. Thank you so much Wyorp for the continuous support! 😁🙏

Attachments

• IMG_20230626_155410408.jpg
    IMG_20230626_155410408.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230626_155829261.jpg
    IMG_20230626_155829261.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 12
Can you get someone to hold her, wrap her lightly in a thin towel to capture her wings, then work on the eye.
If that's pus, then see if you can work it loose with a qtip.

Since she's the last one left, you are her flock/buddy now. Chickens like to have some type of interactions, so if your dog is friendly and will pal with her at time, she may enjoy that too.

I moved the pus a bit and her eye started bleeding. I also found a clump of what I think is harden blood in there. I didn't take it out because I panicked seeing the blood and I was worried it making it worse. I am horrified. It's looks so much uglier. Now a lot more pus comes out and is still bleeds a bit. I took pictures yesterday, but they are really bad. I was going to take some new ones today, but after I cleaned some of the pus, she won't open the eye anymore. Her eye today is much worse than yesterday. Should I try to remove the pus and blood clots?

She more lethargic, but it might be because of the heat. As im writing this, it is currently 101°. Earlier, it was 103°. I am providing her cold water and electrolytes with ice. She also has a little plate with a brick filled with water to cool her feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_202752480.jpg
    IMG_20230629_202752480.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230629_202639768.jpg
    IMG_20230629_202639768.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230629_194215093.jpg
    IMG_20230629_194215093.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 5
With temperatures like that, I'd wait on the trying to get the pus out. Too hot for her to get stressed out.
If you can, just dab on some of the ointment to help keep it soft.

I'd offer cool water with electrolytes to drink, make sure she's got plenty of shade.

Back
Top Bottom