Lethargic Hen- Looking for other options

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by axlecat, Dec 13, 2014.

1. axlecat

axlecat New Egg

Dec 13, 2014
    Hi, I have a 2 year old hen that has shown symptoms of lethargy for the past 4+ days. We noticed her when she was in the free roam enclosed area of the coop on a very cold day while the others were up in the coop. I moved her to the top. She was just sitting there. When she tries to walk she is wobbly. Her tail is downward pointed. The next morning I took her in the house for observation. I thought her crop was full, so I did olive oil in a Doppler and rubbed her neck. She seemed to be doing better and would actually stand on her feet, not really walk around though. I put her back out with the others after 3 days and then today found her again at the bottom of the coop. She seems to have gotten worse. I did a vent check which I felt nothing, but as soon as I removed my finger, she had explosive diarreah that smelled so rancid I threw up. She is still in quarantine, I fed her an egg ad she is eating it No other chickens are showing symptoms. Mind you none of my chickens have laid any eggs since October. We just put in a light about 12 days ago and still no eggs from any of them. They had a big molt in October so I thought that was the reason, then the time change and cold weather so who knows.
    I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is wrong them her. I bought them as chicks and were told they were vaccinated. Any other advice of what to do with her? She has the penguin/owl look to her and her eyes appeared to be red to me.
    Thanks!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hello and [​IMG]

This sounds like a vet may be your best bet. 'Wobbly' is as bad a sign as you want to see, generally, it's quite serious, and a few days past being wobbly with no improvement is generally an advanced bad scenario with a fair bit of damage already done.

However, she's eating, so that's good. When was she last wormed?

Did her poop only smell rancid, or would you describe it by any other term, such as necrotic? It sounds to me like she's perhaps got something seriously wrong internally, but, it could just be a severe case of worms. However it's a bit far along to go experimenting with mild options by the sounds of it, if you can afford a vet I'd suggest that.

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong but it does not sound like anything a layperson can easily fix nor anything even an experienced poultry keeper can easily give you sure-fire successful advice to try on. Time is of the essence because she's been showing serious symptoms for a fair while now.

Good luck with her.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by