Lethargic hen, watery poop

I there, I am concerned about one of my roosters. He was fine on Monday when I got home from work. I let the girls and the guys out of the coop and run to free range in my yard for a few hours before sundown. When I came home on Tuesday to let them all out, I was following Honey, a cross between a Mille Fluer and Serama Rooster, (sweet boy) and noticed him walking like he was uncoordinated and stiff. His tail was pointed down and he held his wings out. I did notice after following him that his poop was watery too. They have plenty of water and food. I live in south Florida and it is quite warm. The coop is in a shady area of the yard. Please help I am at a lose. This rooster was supposed to be a pullet when I got it. A very sweet boy too.

Could you get a picture? It may be because of the heat. You could keep him in a cooler place for a while and see if it helps. It might also be botulism, which is poisoning that occurs after a bird eats moldy food/scratches in contaminated litter, etc. Botulism can cause paralysis of the legs, wings, and neck. It doesn't sound like botulism yet, but it is a possibility.

Thank you for your help by the way. I hope Honey is still with us this afternoon when I get home from work. He looked pretty stiff at 5:45 am. I went out to check on him before leaving for work. He was not in the coop with the others and was on the ground next to the water.

Sad news. My rooster, Honey, was already deceased when I arrived home yesterday. He was in a corner of the run in the shade, head limp and bluish but body stiff. Very sad. Did a cleaning of coop and run. He was a very friendly and affectionate chicken. I am heart broken. I know we have had lots of rain which makes soggy vegetation. Hopefully this will not affect the rest of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom