lethargic hen with liquid poop

endo12

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
I have a three year old hen who has been acting reclusive and a bit lethargic for over a week. The area around her vent was back with scabbing underneath, which looks like mites to us. We've treated everyone with permethrins as well as coop and yard. Since she refuses to come out of the corner of the coop, face into corner, we brought her in where it's warm and she has free access to food and water. I gave her a warm sitz bath and will do so again tonight to try and soften up that area. Also cleaned the area well with soap and water. However, her poop is just like water. She's pecking at food but not really eating. All others in the coop appear healthy. Any suggestions?

I'm no expert, but based on what you described it sounds like she has been pecked and stressed. Birds seem to sense the weak bird in the flock, and the vent area/tail seems to be the first place they start pecking. By "hiding" in the corner, she's protecting her head, but they will likely continue to peck at her, possibly to the death. If you can separate her, do so, and give her a relatively warm, peaceful quiet place to rest up and recover. Inspect the vent for open sores. Do you have Blu-Kote available? (blue spray antiseptic, usually used for horses). Keep her separated until she's healed, and make sure there's nothing else going on with her.

hugs.gif

Good luck...

The pecking order did change recently. She's one of the older gals in the coop. We just introduced a bunch of 6 month old Rhode Island Reds, and they seem to have taken over. There are no bloody spots anywhere on her. Most of the old girls are molting at the moment. I suppose stress could cause diarrhea. Anyway, she's in the basement now where it is warm and cozy. She's still hiding mostly in the corner of the box that is covered by a towel. However, she has eaten a few green beans. Thanks for any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom