Lethargic hen with squishy crop, not eating, mucus-y poop

iowacricket

Chirping
Oct 6, 2020
Eastern Iowa
I have a sick 1.5yo lavender orpington hen, Maude, and I'm not sure what's wrong with her. My other chickens (one other 1.5yo hen and four 12wo pullets) all seem to be fine.

I first noticed something wrong about a week ago (Monday) when she was moving a little slowly and pecking at food but not really eating it. That night, her crop wasn't as full as it usually is, and the next morning, it hadn't quite emptied. It felt kinda squishy and like it was mostly filled with liquid. Her comb was also a little smaller and much paler than usual. I brought her inside and gave her some coconut oil and a crop massage, she ate some egg yolk and tuna, and her poop was semi-solid and a normal color. I checked her vent for an egg and couldn't feel one.

On Thursday, she was laying down a lot, still not eating much, and her crop was still squishy and not emptying completely, so I made an appointment on Friday for the only vet in the area who will even see chickens (attmitedly doesn't know a lot about chickens). He did an x-ray and there wasn't any fluid in her abdomen or egg stuck. He suspected maybe an impaction, so told us to keep giving her coconut oil and massaging.

It's Sunday now and the oil and massage doesn't seem to be helping. She's still mostly laying down in the run, sometimes with eyes closed, and sometimes she trills, which she never did when she was healthy. Right now, shes actually pretty active, grabbing worms and running away from the other chickens, but she never eats it. Her poop is completely liquid today, almost looks mucus-y. I haven't seen any storms in her poop and I've also never dewormed my chickens. I started her on corid yesterday, just in case.

On Monday, she weighed in at 5.35lb and today, she weighed 5lb, so she's lost weight. The last egg she laid was nine days ago. I'm worried that she's going to go downhill quickly if she doesn't eat soon and I'm just not sure what to do next. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

This is her poop from yesterday. I didn't get a picture of her poop today before it dried up and she only pooped the one time. Today's poop didn't have any brown in it, just white streaks.
20220521_115153.jpg

20220521_130027.jpg

20220522_072001.jpg

Are you afraid to get any closer to your hen for a photo of her eyes? Eyes tell us a lot about how a chicken is feeling.

Is her poop consistently runny like that? If it's just a one-off, it means little. If it's consistent, then it means she likely has an infection.

Has she been free ranging on bugs and seeds? Compost pile access? Any other chickens behaving a little "off"? Any that are subdued and fluffed up? If you aren't sure, go do a check on the flock.

Can you get a tube of miconazole vaginal yeast cream today? It would be good to start attacking possible yeast in her crop. Instructions in my article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

But that may be only a symptom of something more serious. Please answer my questions so we can figure this out.

That's just what I have on my phone right now. I'll upload a closer pic when I get home shortly.

Her poop has been runny like that since Thursday. She does free range on bugs and seeds. No compost access. No other chickens are subdued or fluffed up, they've all been acting very much normal with solid poop and regular eating/drinking habits.

I can definitely get a tube of yeast cream today. Thanks for your help here!

If no others are exhibiting symptoms, then this hen has her own private infection. Yes, it can cause a crop disorder. She could use an antibiotic. Do you happen to have any non-"cillin" antibiotics on hand? It's a little tricky treating a crop disorder and an infection since "cillin" antibiotics can aggravate yeast.

Here's a close up of her eye, as well as some poop from just now. I dont have any antibiotics on hand, but there's an Orscheln and Thiesens close by that opens tomorrow morning.
20220522_180801.jpg

20220522_181034.jpg

I do have some sav-a-chick probiotics on hand. Should I keep giving corid? I'm on day 2 now. What kind of antibiotic would you recommend? And should I start giving the yeast cream tonight? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom