Lethargic hen

bizzynik

Chirping
Apr 21, 2017
Kentucky
Last night I found one of my girls sitting in one of the nesting boxes. Once I looked at her I noticed that her comb had fallen over, which isn't normal for her. She's been lethargic and I haven't seen her eat or drink. I've separated her and have been treating her as if she was egg bound. I just checked her vent, and I couldn't feel anything. So I'm at a loss. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Is it hot where you are?
A dose of Sav-A-chick electrolytes/vitamins might help....
...always offer fresh plain water at same time.

I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

What's her poop look like? Pics of her and her poop would be great!

This is her. She's one of my boys favorite, I'm still trying to convince my husband to let me get saddled for her and a couple others like her, and I think she's molting, since most of her tail is missing. She hasn't pooped since I've separated her. However she did pop when I checked her vent, it was green, whiten runny and the nastiest smelling pop ever.
20180811_201403.jpg

Is it hot where you are?
A dose of Sav-A-chick electrolytes/vitamins might help....
...always offer fresh plain water at same time.

I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

It's not too hot, I think the high today was in the low 80's. I've got her in a crate in my house, she's been here all day.

Could there be a chance that she is broody? It doesn’t fit so much with molting, but her being in a nest box and then she had a foul-smelling dropping. Does she have any plucked out feathers on her chest? If not she probably is sick. Feel her crop for fullness, being hard or puffy, which could be not functioning normally. It should be empty and flat if she has not eaten, or first thing in the morning. Look her over for lice or mites around and under her vent. Give her some NutriDrench or electrolytes.

She may just be over mated by the rooster. I would make her a hen apron/saddle out of polar fleece. It is pretty easy to make one out of a 7x9 inch piece with 2 slits about 2 inches long for wings. Trim the excess.

I've given her NutiDrench a couple of times today. I guess she might be broody. I've only had chickens for a little over a year, so I'm still learning. Why would she have plucked feathers in her chest if she's broody? She has shown no interest in food or water all day. If she's broody, would her comb change? Sorry, I'm still clueless.

Broody hens pluck out their chest feathers to come into contact more closely with eggs they want to hatch. Most will pull an egg underneath them if set close to them. They also will peck at you if you try to remove the egg. I don’t want to convince you that she is broody, especially if she is sick, but just to suggest it as a possibility.

upload_2018-8-11_21-37-15.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom