Lethargic hen

tralfaz

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
We added 3 barred rocks to the flock earlier this year, one recently died after a bout of a stargazer head injury. Now a second one is slow and withdrawn. She seems to be eating and doesn't feel thin but she's timid and likes to stay inside the coop. At night she is roosting. I've introduced some vitamins in their water to see if it helps. Anything else I should check for or do to diagnose the problem?

Earlier this year when? How long ago?

How old were they when you got them?
What exactly do you feed?

Earlier this year when? How long ago?

How old were they when you got them?
What exactly do you feed?
Early March, they were pullets and close to laying. Though their eggs have always been small compared to the RI hybrids. We feed them Purina Layena pellets and some scratch. They also free range for a few hours each day.

Also just noticed her comb and waddle are turning a deeper red and appears to be drying out. Here's a pic from this morning
PXL_20210518_123909337.jpg

I think if you’ve never actually seen her lay an egg.. I think that she is close to laying. That or she is egg bound. But if she is turning really red on the face that could mean she’s about to lay. Trying to get in the coop to prepare to lay, or, if egg bound, she’s trying again and again to lay.

I think if you’ve never actually seen her lay an egg.. I think that she is close to laying. That or she is egg bound. But if she is turning really red on the face that could mean she’s about to lay. Trying to get in the coop to prepare to lay, or, if egg bound, she’s trying again and again to lay.
Any ideas with helping her if she's egg bound?

She been laying the smallest eggs in the flock and counting back at our inventory, her last egg was 15 days ago. Here's a pick of the last egg she laid.
PXL_20210518_151622806.jpg

Unfortunately the hen was found dead this morning inside, though last night she appeared fine roosting with the rest of the flock at night fall. Going to inspect her before burying her. Goodnight Rosie 😢

Back
Top Bottom