lethargic hen

spell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
We've been out of town since Monday. The neighbor has stopped by to make sure that the water isn't frozen & to collect eggs. It is COLD. 22 degrees, when I went out this morning & discovered our sickie.
It's been a while since I've posted here, so forgive the all caps. I'm not sure how to change the color for you guys to easily read my responses to the form. All the birds have been doing really well. I just thought about how I kinda missed this site. Life's been too busy to linger around reading... Thanks in advance for your input!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
WHITE MUTT POSSIBLY LEGHORN. UNKNOWN AGE. AS OF MONDAY, SAME WEIGHT AND HEALTH AS OTHERS.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
LETHARGIC. HUNKERED DOWN ON ROOST THIS MORNING. WHEN I PICKED HER UP, SHE WAS UNRESPONSIVE & PLOPPED ONTO THE FLOOR.
COMB IS FLOPPED AND PALE.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
IDK....SINCE 8AM.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
NO

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
NOT THAT I HAVE SEEN.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
COLD. THEY HAVE BEEN CONFINED TO THE COOP SINCE MONDAY.
COOP IS SECURE AND WARM ENOUGH. PLENTY OF FOOD, WATER & SPACE. CLEAN SHAVINGS.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
IDK.....THEY WERE LEFT WITH SCRATCH, FEED, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, OYSTER SHELLS & WATER.
& EACH OTHER THE NEIGHBOR PICKED UP EGGS & THERE WAS ONE IN THE BOX THIS MORNING.
SHE HAS REFUSED CREAM CHEESE, FEED & WATER, IN THE PAST HOUR.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
POOP UNDER HER SPOT ON THE ROOST WAS LIGHTWEIGHT & KINDA RUNNY LIKE TOO MUCH WATER. NO BLOOD

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
ISOLATED TO SMALL COOP. OFFERED CREAM CHEESE & WATER BY HAND. I LOOKED HER OVER AND WRAPPED HER IN A TOWEL FOR WARMTH & CAME IN TO DISCUSS WITH THE HUBS. & TO CHECK IN HERE.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
NO VET OPTION. I WOULD LIKE TO GET HER BETTER BUT WE'RE NOT GOING TO EXTREMES.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
NOT RIGHT NOW...JUST HAPPENED. CONSIDERING BEST OPTIONS.....

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
AWESOME COOP WITH CLEAN SHAVINGS. 10X10 AT LEAST WITH FRONT PORCH OF 3X10 ISH POP DOOR HAS BEEN OPEN BETWEEN PORCH AND SLEEPING QUARTERS ( SO THEY'VE HAD ACCESS TO BOTH AREAS) AND A DRAFT....AWAY FROM THE ROOSTS. MISS SICKIE-POO (FLOUR) WAS FOUND ON THE LOWER ROOST AWAY FROM THE OTHERS. THEY LIVED IN THIS COOP LAST WINTER UNDER WAY MORE SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS.

Last edited:
I would bring her in immediately.

A cage inside or the bathtub just to keep an eye on her. I would try giving her some water with apple cider vinegar (everyone swears by it so its gotta work right?)

Maybe some warm oats/oatmeal.

Maybe some baby vitamins from the store too. But definitely watch her today if you can. Hopefully some others will pipe in.

I found this website last night while trying to help another backyard chicken-ite

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

I am no expert but I know it is stressful when something like this happens.

Back
Top Bottom