Lethargic, not eating, good comb colour

sehead

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
Hi, I added two new hens to my flock of four, there was a little bit of squabbling at first but they have sorted the hierarchy out now. One of my new girls, she’s a light Sussex started laying about a month ago, but stopped two weeks after that and we have had no more eggs from her. The last couple of day she’s been very withdrawn, lethargic and not eating but drinking a lot, she has also has diarrhoea but has very good comb colour. She’s not egg bound and there’s no mites. Any ideas what this could be, I’ve kept chickens for 7 years and I’m clueless?

Welcome to BYC. I would consider that she may have coccidiosis, and treat with Corid, Amprol, Coxoid, all brands of amprollium, in the water. Coccid is common in chickens under 20 weeks old and even older, but also can be infected with new strains from new soil or new chickens. Symptoms are lethargy, puffing up, diarrhea with or without blood, and poor appetite. Worms could also be a problem, so treating with a broad spectrum wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard LiQuid Goat wormer 1/2 ml given orally, then repeated in 10 days. In the UK Flubenvet would be a good wormer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom