Lethargic, one eye looks unusual

chicaus

Chirping
Nov 18, 2021
Hi, I'm hoping for some opinions on what could possibly be wrong with my hen. Presented yesterday with one eye a little extra "open". I dismissed it as she was very much her talky bossy self. Today she is lethargic, sleepy and the eye looks wrong. She is otherwise eating and drinking and staying with the group. I have now separated her to be safe.
Screenshot_20230106-165520_Video Player.jpg

Was she being pecked or bullied by others? If not, I would place her back in her coop with her flock. She would probably be more comfortable seeing them. To keep her handy for treating, you can place her in a dog crate with food and water. Hard to see the eye in the picture. Do you see bubbles, foam or any gunk? The eye looks swollen, which could be from a peck, getting something in the eye, or possibly a respiratory infection. I would treat her by flushing the eye with saline or eye wash. Then apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day.

Was she being pecked or bullied by others? If not, I would place her back in her coop with her flock. She would probably be more comfortable seeing them. To keep her handy for treating, you can place her in a dog crate with food and water. Hard to see the eye in the picture. Do you see bubbles, foam or any gunk? The eye looks swollen, which could be from a peck, getting something in the eye, or possibly a respiratory infection. I would treat her by flushing the eye with saline or eye wash. Then apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day.
Thank you. I was unsure if she had a viral issue but there is no gunk at all and it s neither progressed or reduced. We have a large caged coop 6m x 4m and she has been placed in her own caged area within the coop.

She is the head hen. Bossy and big bt now that I think about it, it did happen after I let the girls out to forage in veggie patch. Perhaps mre likely there is something in her eye.

I imagine it will be quite difficult to get her eye open to wash anything out. I will have a search in the forums or is there any recommendations on how to hold her still to flush the eye?

Thank you. I was unsure if she had a viral issue but there is no gunk at all and it s neither progressed or reduced. We have a large caged coop 6m x 4m and she has been placed in her own caged area within the coop.

She is the head hen. Bossy and big bt now that I think about it, it did happen after I let the girls out to forage in veggie patch. Perhaps mre likely there is something in her eye.

I imagine it will be quite difficult to get her eye open to wash anything out. I will have a search in the forums or is there any recommendations on how to hold her still to flush the eye?
Wrap her snugly in a towel, they should restrain her well enough to flush the eye. If that's not enough then hold her on her back (still in the towel). This is usually enough to calm my hens.

Back
Top Bottom