One of my Australorps, Katherine is ill

CrazyChickenLady0418

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2022
One of my Australorps, Katherine, is ill (she is 3 years old). Not sure what the issue is; however, she is very lethargic and barely eats or drinks. She looks very sleepy at all times. She has gotten tiny, and I noticed something growing near her butt. She hasn't laid eggs in some time (which is ok), we have separated her from the flock to keep an eye on her.

Adding a few photos:

Attachments

• IMG-5675.jpg
    IMG-5675.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-5677.jpg
    IMG-5677.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-5676.jpg
    IMG-5676.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 15
Also, her poop is very watery and whiteish. She is also losing her feathers even though she has Hydro Hen and B-12. Adding another photo

Attachments

• IMG-5679.jpg
    IMG-5679.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 17
One of my Australorps, Katherine, is ill (she is 3 years old). Not sure what the issue is; however, she is very lethargic and barely eats or drinks. She looks very sleepy at all times. She has gotten tiny, and I noticed something growing near her butt. She hasn't laid eggs in some time (which is ok), we have separated her from the flock to keep an eye on her.

Adding a few photos:
How long has she had these symptoms?
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Adding a few photos:
If you see this post before any members I tagged replies, give your hen a calcium citrate+ d3 600mg capsule immediately. You can find it on the vitamins and supplements shelf at Walmart or any drug store. If you don't have that, a tums tablet will also work. Then read the article below. It appears your hen has either a prolapse or is egg bound. (Possibly both.)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Can you take some more photos of the whole hen? Closeups are good, but it's helpful to include full shots and closeups of the head and eyes so we can judge what her posture is telling us and also her eyes give us information, as well.

The significant bulge inside the cloaca could be an egg or a tumor. It would help if you gloved up, lubricate a finger tip, and slip it in about half an inch to feel if there is an egg (hard) or something softer and tissue-like.

@Allsfairinloveandbugs has give good advice. please dose her with calcium right away just in case this is a blockage. The calcium can help her to expel it.

Back
Top Bottom