Lethargic, Pale comb Chicken

UPDATE: She is doing much better today. She actually started to improve last night. Today she is much more active, tail being held upright, comb and waddles normal color, eating and drinking, less yellow in her urates. She drank a TON of water last night after rallying. I'm thinking she was dehydrated because she was lethargic and hadn't been drinking. New symotom over night though...blood in her poop. I'm going to continue to treat her (and the rest of the flock) for coccidia. Planning 2 tsp/gal in their water for 5 days followed by 1/2 tsp/gal for 14 days. Does this seeming the right tratment plan?
The Corid won't hurt, just don't add any extra vitamins/supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to her food/water during treatment.

When was she last dewormed? In older birds, Coccidiosis is possible, but worms are something to consider as well.

The Corid won't hurt, just don't add any extra vitamins/supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to her food/water during treatment.

When was she last dewormed? In older birds, Coccidiosis is possible, but worms are something to consider as well.
I have never wormed my flock. I don't see evidence of worms in their poop. They are all 11 and 10 months old. Should I have wormed them by this age?

I have a 11 month old RIR that has been lethargic today. Comb and waddles seem pale and cooler temp than usual, tail is droopy. We've brought her inside to help keep her warm, calm, and away from the flock. She is panting, but seems more to be when she is warm and not because she is struggling for breath. No odd sounds when she breathes. She weighs 5.5lbs and before today has been fine. Crop was full last night and empty this morning. She laid this morning. Noticed symptoms about 6 hours ago. Had one chicken pass away 2 months ago with similar symptoms which came on just as rapidly. No other birds are currently showing sickness. No obvious injury. No signs of lice, mites, etc. She ate some scrambled egg and bsfl earlier, but not a lot. Poop is runny with normal colored feces and yellowish white urates. Administered 2ml Nutri-Drench 3.5 hours ago. Gave .55 ml Corid orally in case of coccidia about 3 hours ago. We are keeping her warm. Unable to take to her to vet, looking for advice possible causes and treatments. Bedding in coop is sand, run is dirt and sand.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

One of my girls had the same symptoms .... It sounds like a respiratory infection. I would try antibiotics. I took mine to the vet, but I have learned that you can get antibiotics at TS

Back
Top Bottom