Lethargic, paralyzed and dying

Roseyroberts

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2013
East Texas
Ok , I'm going to start this story a 9/5 when I found 3 sick chicks -6 was ago- . They were 8 wks old. I found the buff Orpington first...seemed puffed up not feeling well ..tired..the next morning she was completely prostrate . I thought she was dead. She was completely limp wouldn't even try to get up or open her eyes. I took her inside and put her in a basket with a lamp and started feeding her poultry cell from a dropper. By the next morning I had 2 more fluffed chicks and they joined her in the brooder. 2 polish this time. One of them could only stand but couldn't support the weight of its neck so she laid her head on the floors all day. Took about 3 days in the ICU but All three chicks survived . I chalked it up to having run out of grower feed over the wkend and all they had was layer pellets. I wormed the whole batch of chicks with Wazine just in case.

Maybe 2wks ago we had a white polish acting off. Fluffed out , sleepy...we brought her in. She was ok for most of the day..just sleepy. I was at work when this happened so all I know is what my 13 year old told me...but she suddely started spasaming. Total crazy chicken. My daughter thought she was headless because she twisted her head so far under her wing. When she tried to help her she pulled her kneck straight back into her back and then spun it all the way around. Flopping and then stiff..several times and then she was dead. Picture possessed chicken here..it scared my little girl to death.

Fast forward To 1 wks ago. I noticed a leghorn pullet (all are the same age) acting depressed. She has always been a runt and is very tiny. She just looked offish to me...spending too much time sleeping to suit me and whenever I picked her up her crop never seemed very full at all. Then one morning probably 4 days ago I went to let everyone out of the coop and I thought she was dead laying there. Picked her up brought her into the ICU (aka the house). she died by the end of the day. No other symptoms. Of course 1 sick chicken has me running around like a crazy person looking for more that seem off....and I didn't find any till the next day. My Mille fluer hen (18 wks?? I got her from Atwood's and didn't mark her hatch day) who I thought was trying to lay the day before ...was in fact lame. At first seemed to be one leg more prominently and she rested on her haunches. Seemed alert otherwise. She has been inside for 3 ? Days now. Both legs are extended straight in front of her and she seems disoriented. Pulls her head back a lot. She is off her food and water.
This eve I brought a gold laced polish in that is acting fluffed and tired all day. The same polish who survived the first bout wks ago.

With each incident it seemed isolated with no one else sick and so I would stop worrying after a few days and think it was just random. Now these losses that have spanned the past six wks seem like too much... I'm really worried. Especially with the Mille being lame. Of course Mareks comes to mind because of it.
We live in the woods and most of the grown hens free range so I did find some lice on some of them a wk ago and treated with DE. I bought some seven too in case it didn't work.
No other symptoms: no smelly poo. No drainage, coughs anything like that.
I have never before last wk brought any chicken home other than shipped day olds . But I raised quite a few cackle surprise boxes this summer. 4 total I think.
They have been on Lonstar grower 18 percent.

Thoughts?? I've done so much reading my head is spinning. I can't find something that completely fits.

From what I read .. I couldn't find anything in the environment that would cause Botulism. Unless I'm not considering something. And don't they usually die quickly?

It could be a lack of nutrition.You said you picked them up were they homeless?

If I said I picked them up I meant picked then up and carried them into the house. They are all my birds, raised from hatchlings.
But I do wonder if the food they are in could be poor quality, since giving them poultry cell (which is all vitamins and minerals) has worked miracles in a few of them.

I would keep doing that whats the food brand you are using?

I have been using Lone Star 18 percent chick grower with these because it's all that is available right here in town. I used to drive and buy another brand and I felt like the chicks that were on it had feathered out better and laid earlier than with this brand.
Might be worth mentioning that some of these birds have lost feathers. Either have been plucked out or? They seem broken off. Skin looks healthy as far as I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom