Lethargic, paralyzed and dying

I will try to take some before work in the morning of the symptomatic ones . Here is the only ones I took today. This one is from the mille fluer that is in isolation.

This is some I seen in the big girl comprised morning who aren't showing symptoms of anything. They are mature hens and young roos who roost in there at night.

Can you post some pictures of both normal poo and cecal poo?

-Kathy

I'm not saying they have cocci for certain, mind you, but since you did not mention it and they are the right age, thought I'd bring it up. It's the most common cause of lethargy and death in a certain age bracket of chicks. However, the mutated type that a necropsy showed in youngsters owned by a friend (hatched from eggs sent by a breeder in the midwest to me in GA for my friend in KY, who was coming to visit-they were a surprise for her) showed no abnormal poop. They were weeks old, developing normally, lethargic one day, two at the most, then just died, one after the other. The necropsy showed a type of coccidiosis that is, of all weird things, passed down from the parent stock through the egg to the chick.

So, there are some things with chickens that just are not textbook situations and would require more expert hands-on testing/consultation than we can give over the web. I hope you can figure it out. As casportpony said, pictures of the poop might help us some.

The bottom photo didn't look red in person. I think my Camera picked up reflection of red brooder light that was shining on it

Did I mention the mille is doing better today? Hobbling around and much more perky. No more weird neurological looking dizziness going on.

Can you post some pictures of both normal poo and cecal poo?

-Kathy

I'm not saying they have cocci for certain, mind you, but since you did not mention it and they are the right age, thought I'd bring it up. It's the most common cause of lethargy and death in a certain age bracket of chicks. However, the mutated type that a necropsy showed in youngsters owned by a friend (hatched from eggs sent by a breeder in the midwest to me in GA for my friend in KY, who was coming to visit-they were a surprise for her) showed no abnormal poop. They were weeks old, developing normally, lethargic one day, two at the most, then just died, one after the other. The necropsy showed a type of coccidiosis that is, of all weird things, passed down from the parent stock through the egg to the chick.

So, there are some things with chickens that just are not textbook situations and would require more expert hands-on testing/consultation than we can give over the web. I hope you can figure it out. As casportpony said, pictures of the poop might help us some.

The bottom photo didn't look red in person. I think my Camera picked up reflection of red brooder light that was shining on it

It would be interesting to see both of those poops on a paper towel, because neither of them look quite right. I understand what you're saying about cameras, colors, and reflections, but my gut says that there is something odd about both.

-Kathy

I am hoping to get some more samples tomorrow. I left for work before daylight and came back late. So I could not collect any.
I did however look in the icu cage and seem nothing abnormal this eve. Was happy to see the mille fluer excitedly eating, that's an improvement!

Back
Top Bottom