Lethargic, Poop covered.

chickengirl4

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
TX
I really need some help. I have a chicken, Rosey, who is not feeling good. She is lethargic, and just lays down most of the day. She has poop all over her butt and vent. Her legs are fine. She seemed a bit off two days ago, and she got up and walked around, and got some food and water though. I tried checking for mites, and didn't see any. I am just really worried about her. I just really hope shes not dieing. Any suggestions?

She just drank more water now. She is slow when she moves, but she isn't doing anything different. Could it be she is reacting to the heat.

If you can answer some questions and provide a few more details it will get you more help.
How old is the bird? When is the last time she laid an egg? Any respiratory symptoms of sneezing, wheezing or discharge from nose or mouth or eyes? Any swelling of the abdomen, (feel between the legs below the tail)? Are the droppings normal looking, runny, discolored (pictures of droppings can help)? Is her crop working normally, should be empty in the morning before eating, and fill and empty through out the day as she eats, full when she goes to roost? How is her weight, is her breast bone very prominent?
Any other observations you can make can help narrow it down and get you some suggestions.

If you can answer some questions and provide a few more details it will get you more help.
How old is the bird? When is the last time she laid an egg? Any respiratory symptoms of sneezing, wheezing or discharge from nose or mouth or eyes? Any swelling of the abdomen, (feel between the legs below the tail)? Are the droppings normal looking, runny, discolored (pictures of droppings can help)? Is her crop working normally, should be empty in the morning before eating, and fill and empty through out the day as she eats, full when she goes to roost? How is her weight, is her breast bone very prominent?
Any other observations you can make can help narrow it down and get you some suggestions.
I am looking at her, I have her in an Epsom salt bath. I think she has a prolapsed vent. It has this black and white poop look to it, and it is squishy.

32372803_1861993583860475_3901997317632294912_n.jpg

This is what it looks like

Please answer ...

How old is the bird?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Respiratory symptoms of sneezing, wheezing or discharge from nose or mouth or eyes?
Qwelling of the abdomen, (feel between the legs below the tail)?
Are the droppings normal looking, runny, discolored (pictures of droppings can help)?
Is her crop working normally...Should be empty in the morning before eating and full when she goes to roost?
How is her weight, is her breast bone very prominent?
What are you feeding?
Is she in a large flock?

She is about 2, maybe a little older. I got her full grown. Last time she laid an egg, I believe was yesterday.
No respiratory symptoms.
no swelling in the abdomen.
runny droppings
crop seems appropriate for the time of day. feels like a full ballon
shes in good weight
I feed a layer feed mixes with scratch grains,
she is with 2 other chickens

I feed a layer feed mixes with scratch grains,
This is a concern. Too much scratch grains over a period of time can cause fatty deposits and more seriously Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome. Scratch should be considered a treat and a very small amount thrown down in deep litter to encourage scratching and exercise, if it is used at all. Mixing it with their feed means they get all of the extra calories but no real exercise from it which leads to them getting fat. Fat chickens are prone to health issues just like people and prolapsing is associated with it because thick fatty deposits build up in the abdomen and around the vent and restricts the ability of the vent to stretch when an egg is laid.
I would cut the scratch altogether and give her daily epsom salts soaks and keep that prolapse clean and moist using Prep H or honey. Keep her mostly in the dark for a few days and away from flies and feed a wet mash by soaking her regular feed (pellets or crumbles) in water until they go to mush. She may also benefit from a vitamin supplement in the water.

You can also try to gently push the prolapse back inside her with a finger and hold it there until she stops trying to push it back out. It can take 10-15 mins. If it will not stay in or comes back out when she poops, clean and medicate and try again the next day. I can't stress how important it is to keep her away from flies and keep her clean and plenty of cream on it. If she gets fly strike on that, it will be horrendous.

Back
Top Bottom