Lethargic, puffed up hen in molt

So thankful for the article by @azygous and started the monistat this morning. She still has a super water balloon crop but ate some wet mash and I was able to get her to drink some Epsom salt/water. I tried to give her a Tums but she wasn’t having it so I’ll get the calcium tomorrow in case it’s an egg issue.

I felt under her abdomen area kind of below the vent and it seemed really sensitive to her. She did NOT like me touching or pushing on it. Could that be something egg related?

She hasn’t laid since around Christmas when our temps shot back up after sun freezing cold snap. 😥 I’m trying to be calm and patient as I treat her but all I can think of is my other hen, Henrietta, that had super stubborn sour crop and issues all summer long and I finally had to put her down. Chicken keeping is hard sometimes, y’all.
She's molting right?
She may not like being handled due to molt or if she does have some bloat in the abdomen then it may be uncomfortable for her.

Understandable that this is distressing. Just do the best you can.

She's molting right?
She may not like being handled due to molt or if she does have some bloat in the abdomen then it may be uncomfortable for her.

Understandable that this is distressing. Just do the best you can.
EDIT: I searched more and found one super mucous-y poop and her corner of shavings from last night behind the dropping board is very wet, so she’s definitely expelling mostly liquid still.

This is the dropping I found:
4549898C-262C-47FC-BDAC-3D7536273970.jpeg

Yes she’s molting poor girl. That’s true that she wouldn’t like being handled or touched much. I was exploring while I had her on the patio table giving her the monistat because she won’t eat it on her own.

Crop is still squishy today and she spends her “down time” standing with her eyes closed. I didn’t see any poops on the droppings board under her part of the roost so I’m not sure if she’s moving anything along. Should I syringe some Epsom salt mix today to get things moving?

About to give her morning miconozole dose with some scrambled eggs. I know it can take a few days or even the whole 7 days to see improvement, especially if it’s a wicked bad yeast infection. Thanks y’all!

Last edited:
I picked her up gently to give her the miconozole and Epsom salt flush and a whole fountain of nasty smelling liquid spewed out of her mouth. Afterwards, her crop was smaller and she seemed hungry. I gave the miconozole and then let her eat half of a scrambled egg which she loved and devoured. Wondering if I should have spaced everything out instead of giving it all to her at once, the flush, meds and egg?

Put her in a crate within the run so I can better monitor her water intake and droppings and so she can see her buddy, Pepper. She has had one poop since and it’s completely water, milky white colored. 😭

I would give her the miconazole twice a day for 7 day as outlined in the article.

Giving a flush is up to you, I'm not one to administer a flush unless after several days of treatment I feel like it's needed. It takes time to resolve these issues.
Some do give all treatments at once, so if that's what you like to do, go for it.

Yes, I agree that it's ultimately up to you as to deciding how to treat your hen. It helps to fully understand what the treatments are designed to do, though when deciding.

Miconazole kills yeast spores.

Epsom salts will neutralize yeast and stimulate the intestines to contract, thereby moving stuff through the intestines. However, you need to take into account introducing a lot of extra fluid into a crop that may still be struggling to handle excess fluid. Despite the benefits, timing may be an important consideration.

Hey everyone,

My chooks are going through their molt a little later than usual fall because Texas weather is crazy. Sirius started her molt and now full into it, is acting sick. It started this last weekend with fully watery poop that had bright green spots in it.

I changed all their food out to a new bag of Layena after cleaning the feeder, gave them a new batch of water in a regular waterer, made a smaller waterer with probiotics and electrolytes, and gave her a concentrated dose of Nutridrench.

She perked back up yesterday and seemed to be eating but not as much as usual. She was drinking water as usual and enjoyed the electrolyte mix best. Today thoguh, she is puffed up, lethargic and just standing in place with her head down and eyes closed. What could be wrong?? Is it just a hard molt or is she sick?

My vet won’t do a chicken decal float test. Only dogs and cats he said. So I’m not sure if it’s Coccidiosis or worms but I have medicine for both. I thought of doing Corid first. Thoughts?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock View attachment 3374356
Maybe try soaking her in warm water and Epsom Salts for 5 minutes. Also try that Ivermectin paste in her water. 6 tubes for $50 on Amazon. I take it, my dogs take it, and if they need, I'll give it to the chickens (when I get them :)

Yes, I agree that it's ultimately up to you as to deciding how to treat your hen. It helps to fully understand what the treatments are designed to do, though when deciding.

Miconazole kills yeast spores.

Epsom salts will neutralize yeast and stimulate the intestines to contract, thereby moving stuff through the intestines. However, you need to take into account introducing a lot of extra fluid into a crop that may still be struggling to handle excess fluid. Despite the benefits, timing may be an important consideration.
That does make sense that you would want that to dry out first.

Back
Top Bottom