Lethargic Silkie Rooster Drinking but NOT Eating

his crop hasn’t been really full. He eats just a bit at a time, drinks a lot. Ive been giving him raw eggs and he picks at it, but doesn’t eat much. I started him on Tylan50 last night. I’m looking at tube feeding now. He’s declining and losing weight and I don’t seem to be able to help him. It’s so frustrating.
Right, but is the crop empty/flat in the morning before you give him food/water?

What dose of Tylan50 are you giving?

Hi. Thanks so much. Sadly, he passed last night. He was just skin and bones when he passed. I always feel so clueless with these guys. Every other animal we have, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on, but with chickens, it’s so difficult for me to pinpoint what is wrong and with no chicken vet, it’s truly a crapshoot.

I'm sorry to hear he died.
It is hard to pinpoint what's going on with them sometimes. If you want to see if you can get more information then refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab. Having some info about why a bird died can often help you in the future if you have another with similar symptoms, you can possibly get ahead of illness/infection and give early treatment to see if that works. You can find your state lab here https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom