Lethargic, standing up, deep red comb

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
My 1 year old brahma bantam has been having egg issues recently, a few soft shell and we switched feed, had a couple of days of more calcium on the eggs. Only hen to have issues of our flock.

Today she’s been extremely lethargic, standing and won’t lay down or sit. Her comb and face are deep red. Poop is watery but it’s not too hot here.

Potentially egg bound? Other issue?

Last edited:
Deeper red than normal? I had a hen with that, and it ended up being a septic infection.

Is she straining, puckering her vent or pumping her tail? I’d she sort of dragging her back end?

Do you know if any soft eggs broke inside before they came out?

Sorry, lots of questions, but the answers might help narrow it down.

I have experience with a hen who lays soft eggs. Treating her with calcium citrate plus D3 used to help. However, an avian vet indicated to me that soft shells are usually caused by an infection, so I treated her with antibiotics. She laid a couple shelled eggs since then, but is mostly laying softies.

Has your flock had any respiratory symptoms, even something mild like a little sneezing? I ask because infectious bronchitis can have subtle symptoms, but then wreak havoc on the shell gland. I do wonder if that’s my hen’s problem, despite the fact that a necropsy a couple years ago came back negative for infectious bronchitis in another hen.

Sorry... I forgot to suggest you give your hen a calcium supplement for a few days and see if it helps reset her. I use caltrate. It’s easy to direct dose a calcium capsule to her beak, but less stressful if you can isolate her for a couple minutes and give it as treat. I like to crush it and mix it with baby bird formula. But any soft, damp treat she likes would work.

Back
Top Bottom