Lethargic young chick, possibly injured

jniemiec

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
We have two 4 month old chicks. My 4 year old son took them out of their coop yesterday (as he does everyday) to let them run the yard. About 10 minutes later I saw my son holding "Runny" upside down by her legs. She has been unable/unwilling to walk since. I don't feel any broken bones, but she is lethargic. I'm not sure if she's drinking or eating. Se did move around a bit last night, but I never actually saw her walking. I'd just notice she'd had moved a few inches each time I checked in on her. I never saw Runny before the upside down incident to know if she was not well before that.

She slept inside last night in a box and appears pretty much the same today. I feel just sick about this. I know my son didn't mean to hurt her. He's always displayed such love, albeit a lot of curiousity too!

Any thoughts?

My first guess would be pulled muscles/ligaments - that may be very sore and just need time to heal, or it could be dislocated joints.
sad.png

I'm no medical expert, though ....

If it was me, I'd just give runny a week to heal and go from there. Keep enticing foods nearby with some water. If runny isn't eating or drinking, you can use a dropper and dribble water along her (?) beak or gently force her beak open and place a small piece of scrambled egg or a drop of water or something similar inside. She should swallow it. Be careful not to tip her head back though - and have the food/water get into her lungs - it's best to let her swallow it on her own.

Hope runny is feeling better soon ! Try not to beat yourself up over it, it wasn't intentional - accidents happen.

Back
Top Bottom