Lethargy, diarrhea - what else can I do?

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Our 1.5 Mille Fleur seemed lethargic on Wednesday night, on Thursday she had liquid white diarrhea and was standing alone. I took her to the emergency vet yesterday and they did bloodwork but couldn't get a fecal sample and sent her home with Clavamox. She seems worse today as far as lethargy. She's had a little bit of water and has "sampled" food but won't eat. The whole flock received a course of Fenbendazole about 2 months ago.

Besides supportive care, should I proactively treat her for anything else? I have Corid and more Fenbendazole on hand but don't want to stress her little body unnecessarily. She's tiny - about 600g. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 65834708222__2A6EF520-D40B-44DB-9359-B63568D5ECB2.jpeg
    65834708222__2A6EF520-D40B-44DB-9359-B63568D5ECB2.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9410.jpeg
    IMG_9410.jpeg
    694.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9404.jpeg
    IMG_9404.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 5
She may be dehydrated. Did the vet give her fluids? Can you give her some orally, and electrolytes with vitamins or Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops would be good. If you have Corid, then start it, and discontinue any vitamins. Give the maximum dosage of 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 5-7 days. If you can also run in some of these droppings to the vet for the fecal float, that would be good. Give an extra boost of undiluted Corid of 0.1 ml orally, now and for the next couple of days. Here is a good article on giving liquids medicine:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Give the Clavamox a bit more time to work. She may have been off her food long enough where now she's too weak to have an appetite. Give her sugar water first. Then if she appears to have revived some, try some boiled rice with a little raw egg mixed in.

Sometimes failure to repsond to an antibiotic is really weakness from not eating. Once she gets her strength back, that can help the antibiotic work better.

She may be dehydrated. Did the vet give her fluids? Can you give her some orally, and electrolytes with vitamins or Poultry NutriDrench 2 drops would be good. If you have Corid, then start it, and discontinue any vitamins. Give the maximum dosage of 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 5-7 days. If you can also run in some of these droppings to the vet for the fecal float, that would be good.
No, the vet didn't give her fluids but did say she was slightly dehydrated. I watched her drink this morning on her own, but since I haven't seen it so I've been giving her water by dipping her beak in. I've also given her a few drops off mashed up feed + a little bit of a blueberry (all she seems to want to eat). Hoping she defecates before 6p when our vet closes, otherwise I'll have to try to get a fecal in the morning. It's mostly urates and liquid. She's just standing there breathing really heavily, I'm so nervous she won't make it.

Give the Clavamox a bit more time to work. She may have been off her food long enough where now she's too weak to have an appetite. Give her sugar water first. Then if she appears to have revived some, try some boiled rice with a little raw egg mixed in.

Sometimes failure to repsond to an antibiotic is really weakness from not eating. Once she gets her strength back, that can help the antibiotic work better.
I hope this is true, thank you. I've given two doses so far and about to give the third in a moment. Will keep giving her little bits of food and sugar water.

Can you scrape the droppings from earlier into a small container or ziploc bag?
Sadly no, anything that wasn't urates is fully dried from overnight, everything else is just urates and liquid since. I just gave her a little food so I'm hoping, but we really just have like ten minutes before we miss the window to get it to the vet tonight. They open at 8a.

Back
Top Bottom