1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lets make a..........

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Lets make a new Japanese bantam color! i'm bored of all the other ones

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I wasn't quite sure what to think of this but I'll toss in a question: What color do you dream of?

3. someting like silver duckwing, golden, lavander.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    They have birchen ones, thats close to SDW. I would like to see Red shouldered japs (like yokohamas)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. well, red quill too, plus wheaten! (wheaten is my favorite chicken color!)

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:That would be AWESOME!

7. well, how do we make these colors? [​IMG]

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You'd have to bring in birds from similar breeds with that color, and make crossbreds for a while. Japs have been muddying up the Serama genepool for years, so maybe you could import some of those genes back? Wheaten is an accepted Serama color; I have three of them myself! And I thought there were lavender japs? Maybe not. You might have to dip into the OEGB genepool for that. It will take lots of birds over several years, but it sounds like fun!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  9. hmm, this could get interesting. [​IMG]

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I have seen wheaten, golden, silver, and many other colors for sale on eggbid in the last few years. If you search long enough you can find anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by