Let's Pickle Some Quail Eggs....

Fat Daddy

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Ks
This time of year I always get the crave'n for pickled eggs... Spring in the air, sit'n around a fire at night with friends, enjoy'n a cold beverage.... snack'n on what ever is handy.... crackers, hard cheese and spicy pickled quail eggs fit in as well as chicken wings...... So I decided id pickle some up today... I hate peel'n quail eggs so I use the vinegar method..... I boil eggs for 7 mins and cool with ice water. I normally figure 25 to 30 quail eggs per pint. This depends on the eggs! This is 10:00 AM, in the cider vinegar and back in the frig....

At 11:00 the paint has slipped off the eggs and its foaming good.... If you fill the bowl up like i did, sit it on a towel in the frig.... ;-)

Now at 8:00 PM the acid in the vinegar has eaten the calcium in the shells and all that's left is the rubbery membrane. rinse the paint vinegar and sediment off in the sink....

It peels off easy like a rubbery grape skin if you're careful. My 5 year old grand daughter loves to help...

It took 20 mins to peel these 60 or so eggs....

Now for the pickle'n... I like them spicy and hot... I load 25-30 per pint jar and on top of that I add 1 Tsp of smoke and fire BBQ rub. 1 Tsp of red pepper flake. 1 tsp salt. 1 Tsp of pickling spices. 1 Tsp of cummin. I have used this recipe for a while now but the variations are endless. little granulated garlic, few black pepper corns, sirriacha sauce, fresh jap peppers, onions, ocra, ect... is all good too... Then I fill the jar half way up with Louisiana Hot sauce, and top it the rest of the way up with cider vinegar... Now can or seal the jars as you normally would for storage. I heat mine to 160 deg and they will keep much longer than they ever last. I have had a open jar in the frig for six months or so that I miss placed. It was still fine.... I do recommend that you date the lid as with any home canned product. Let them sit for 2 weeks to pickle proper before eating.... bet you have trouble with that part thou, I always do......

That is an interesting way to prepare /peel the eggs. Though I really don't know why people have such high a hard time peeling quail eggs. Boil 4 minutes, take off the heat and cover for 5 minutes. Then drain the hot water and replace with cold water.when they are cooled drain the water, put the lid back on an shake the pot up down and all around. Peel your eggs. Easy peezey :)

Your recipe sounds spicy!

That is an interesting way to prepare /peel the eggs.  Though I really don't know why people have such high a hard time peeling quail eggs.  Boil 4 minutes, take off the heat and cover for 5 minutes. Then drain the hot water and replace with cold water.when they are cooled drain the water, put the lid back on an shake the pot up down and all around. Peel your eggs.  Easy peezey :)

Your recipe sounds spicy! 

I can't wait to try this! We don't like pickled eggs (a sin, I know!), but my dad loves them. I can't wait until I have enough eggs coming in to fix some for him. It's the least I can do for him for all that he's done for me over the years!

ETA: my eggs are scheduled to be shipped next week, hopefully, orders are not running too far behind!

Last edited:
I like to fresh dice jalapenos, habanera, garlic, and any other peppers I feel like using.
Then I bring them to a boil in vinegar, add pickling salt. Boil twenty minutes or so. Let it cool to fridge temp so it the sane as my boiled eggs. Put eggs in jars, pour liquid mix into the jars till they are full up.
Then boil to seal. Let cool and add to fridge.
I'm the only one to eat them because they are so spicy after two weeks. With the vinegar/salt concentrations they can be stored on the shelf, but I still keep them in the fridge.

So I pickled some eggs the first time about 5 days ago, vacuum sealed it after done. After 4-5 days my wife and I couldn't wait so opened up one jar to try out. It was so so, nothing to write home about. Hopefully it'll get better after 2 weeks. One thing I didn't like was how "hard" it was. I think it gets hardened by keeping it cold in the fridge. I like to eat boiled eggs at room temperature. Guess I'll have to leave the jar outside the fridge for a day before consuming it.

Fat Daddy: when you soak eggs before peeling, what concentration of vinegar do you soak them in? Do you dilute the vinegar first?

I soak them in straight vinegar.... The "hard" / rubbery eggs are due to over boiling before pickling... This is all a matter of taste really, but I prefer mine to be dropped in boiling water for 7 mins..... If they are in the water while it comes to a boil, they over cook. Ice water cooled as soon as they come out to stop cooking.... They will also get rubbery with age too..... As to the "SO SO"... the flavor will deepen some but not change greatly.... The combos are endless, Its hard to get a egg too hot IMHO. they dont hold heat as well as you'd think. I like sirracha sauce in mine too.

I soak them in straight vinegar.... The "hard" / rubbery eggs are due to over boiling before pickling... This is all a matter of taste really, but I prefer mine to be dropped in boiling water for 7 mins..... If they are in the water while it comes to a boil, they over cook. Ice water cooled as soon as they come out to stop cooking.... They will also get rubbery with age too..... As to the "SO SO"... the flavor will deepen some but not change greatly.... The combos are endless, Its hard to get a egg too hot IMHO. they dont hold heat as well as you'd think. I like sirracha sauce in mine too.

Great tip. What size are the eggs you are pickling, or hard-boiling for that matter. Do you adjust boiling time to account for egg size? Or does it even matter for eggs of this "general" size?

Opening up a old post, I finally have plenty of eggs to pickle/hatch etc. My question is how long in the hot water bath? I know canning books it varies my product being canned so I thought I would ask. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom