1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Let's plan a Quail egg hatch... set 'em Sept. 1, hatch 'em Sept 17-19+

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MobyQuail, Jul 31, 2011.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:I like your Quail-andary, maybe they hatch early and you pop more in Sept. 1, [​IMG] regardless, you can hatch-a-long earlier or later on donation skills alone...

good stuff!

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I'll purchase some egg and if I can get them here on time, I'll join in...sound like fun ! [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I'm In... Will Be Setting Cinnamon Cots And Bobs If Available

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I guess I'll set just a few coturnix. I'm about to replace a whole pen of breeders so I could use a few more. September 1st is good for me because by the time they hatch all of the silkies will be in the grow out pen. I won't be able to set them earlier because I'm about to set more silkies, some cochins and some white leghorn bantams.

5. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Quote:I like your Quail-andary, maybe they hatch early and you pop more in Sept. 1, [​IMG] regardless, you can hatch-a-long earlier or later on donation skills alone...

good stuff!

Well, maybe I could work that out. I could set my church quail a little earlier - then set a new group Sept 1 to join the group hatch. [​IMG] Just Where Am I Going To Put Them?????!! What a wonderful quailandary! huh? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    we have plenty of time to plan and gain some more players.

how many ya'll setting? I am gonna shoot for 48 quail eggs to set...hope to get decent% to hatch but will plan for 50-75%.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Quote:I don't know how many I am going to set. I am thinking only 15 or 20 eggs. If I get 10 or so Bob's, I will be happy enough. I am so squeezed for space and really don't need any more males. And I know my luck....I will get 75% males! Seems like the norm for me. Must be something in the water around here....[​IMG]

8. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I'm in. I need a few more sacrificial quail for my next experiment. I'm gonna put 'em in a pen with a really, crappy, nasty, chicken waterer and let them live with chickens. Once I develop a strain of chicken-proof quail, I'll be sittin' on a big chunk of cheddar.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I don't know how many I will set yet, sending out some eggs and hoping not everyone are molting by then. Button quail will be set, and African Harlequins most likely. I will let you guys know closer to set date.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I only have 2 breeding groups right now, but will be putting out 2 more this week. Hopefully I'll have a bunch about this time.

I'm in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by