Let's plan a Quail egg hatch... set 'em Sept. 1, hatch 'em Sept 17-19+

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MobyQuail, Jul 31, 2011.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:I like your Quail-andary, maybe they hatch early and you pop more in Sept. 1, [​IMG] regardless, you can hatch-a-long earlier or later on donation skills alone...

good stuff!

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I'll purchase some egg and if I can get them here on time, I'll join in...sound like fun ! [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I'm In... Will Be Setting Cinnamon Cots And Bobs If Available

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I guess I'll set just a few coturnix. I'm about to replace a whole pen of breeders so I could use a few more. September 1st is good for me because by the time they hatch all of the silkies will be in the grow out pen. I won't be able to set them earlier because I'm about to set more silkies, some cochins and some white leghorn bantams.

5. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Quote:I like your Quail-andary, maybe they hatch early and you pop more in Sept. 1, [​IMG] regardless, you can hatch-a-long earlier or later on donation skills alone...

good stuff!

Well, maybe I could work that out. I could set my church quail a little earlier - then set a new group Sept 1 to join the group hatch. [​IMG] Just Where Am I Going To Put Them?????!! What a wonderful quailandary! huh? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    we have plenty of time to plan and gain some more players.

how many ya'll setting? I am gonna shoot for 48 quail eggs to set...hope to get decent% to hatch but will plan for 50-75%.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't know how many I am going to set. I am thinking only 15 or 20 eggs. If I get 10 or so Bob's, I will be happy enough. I am so squeezed for space and really don't need any more males. And I know my luck....I will get 75% males! Seems like the norm for me. Must be something in the water around here....[​IMG]

8. millebantam

millebantam Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I'm in. I need a few more sacrificial quail for my next experiment. I'm gonna put 'em in a pen with a really, crappy, nasty, chicken waterer and let them live with chickens. Once I develop a strain of chicken-proof quail, I'll be sittin' on a big chunk of cheddar.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I don't know how many I will set yet, sending out some eggs and hoping not everyone are molting by then. Button quail will be set, and African Harlequins most likely. I will let you guys know closer to set date.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I only have 2 breeding groups right now, but will be putting out 2 more this week. Hopefully I'll have a bunch about this time.

I'm in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by