Let's plan a Quail egg hatch... set 'em Sept. 1, hatch 'em Sept 17-19+

Quote:
Wolftracks, I found my answer online by googling setting hatching eggs by the moon and got the farmers almanac page as one of the selections that turned up in the results. I went to the site and accessed the calendar there as well as an article written by one of the almanac people who suggested that eggs be set so that the hatch occur during the wax phase... The HATCH has to happen during the waxing phase.

It didn't cost me anything and I found more info on the almanac's website than I have ever found in the one I pick up in the store. Sorry I didn't respond to ya sooner.

Tonya

Ya know I used to go to that site all the time and right after I posted I did again. Had been a while. I must have been on there for 3 hours. Thought I only ever spent that much time on this site like that. LOL

I did get sidetracked though. I started to read about hatching and then thought of something else and spent most of my time there.

I'm up to 39 eggs. I have a few more days, so looks like I'll have a good amount. It was hot here a few days ago. Not like it usually is this time of year, but I think they went on strike, Out of 12 hens I got 10 eggs yesterday. Finally. Wish these younger birds would start up, but even if they did I doubt fertility would be very good in the beginning. I'm hoping I get to set at least 60. I've never held eggs this long for a hatch and kind of nervous about it, but I figure if you all can do it I can too.

I have chicks hatching today from my chickens and tomorrow I have a quail hatch. Not a lot of them, but I only started hatching from my own birds the past couple months and now laying is picking up.

So are we doing the next hatch according to the moon?

Quote:
I use the "notes" on my Iphone too... I always forget how old they are. I set a alarm to tell me when to lock'em down too... Im gettin old, and had "WAY TOO MUCH FUN" and a younger man to have a good memory... Bill

I normally write the set date on the egg but the button eggs are so small that it's pretty hard to do that. I could have circled the day on the calender but I didn't
tongue.png

Quote:
I probably should get some eggs from someone, I've only got 21 eggs right now so I don't know that I'll have enough for what I'm wanting. I guess I could just set some more a week later or keep the youngest babies I have right now for that auction...we'll see.

Quote:
Ice Chest

Light assembly

Lightbulb

Thermostat

20 minutes later you have an incubator. They have styro ice chests all over the place on sale. At least 50% off in most places. You can do the whole thing for less than 15 bucks if you find on old lamp for parts.

Last edited:
3 more days to go! I've collected already more eggs then i meant to lol, think i'm up to 16? or 17? Mostly from my jumbo goldens... At the rate they are laying i'm looking at another 10 eggs to add give or take...

I'm on the fence about the eggs in my incubator... there are 25 that are for sure good, saw swimmers when i was candling... there are 2 other rows, 1 row i am doubtful about, the other has possibilities but i can't tell. I would love to get 30 chicks out of the remaining eggs in the incubator (42 total)... I had set 60 (shipped eggs) 18 of which either were clear, or had died with blood rings. I find these so hard to candle! They are due to hatch in a week so i better get going on the brooder lol.

Quote:
Ice Chest

Light assembly

Lightbulb

Thermostat

20 minutes later you have an incubator. They have styro ice chests all over the place on sale. At least 50% off in most places. You can do the whole thing for less than 15 bucks if you find on old lamp for parts.

that method works much easier than you think... Tractor supply sells Little giants if you have a TCS near by... i have 2 LG one for my egg turner and fan for incubation...the other for hatching(no turner[just cartons] and no fan).. eggs are transfered from my turner bator into my hatcher bator.. set on cartons 3 days prior to hatch.. i also have made a cooler bator and hatched 7/12 eggs from it first try.. i just made a mini fridge bator after the cooler bator trial and 2 days ago hatched 100% in EE eggs.. 5/5. it worked like a charm! i still think my LG set up is perfect and wouldnt mess with/alter a thing to it. i just wanted to make my own to say i did it! and that i did. so if your really eager kid i would attempt to build yourself and incubator.

p.s. the only thing i would add to the above post is a small PC fan so the air is constantly flowing.

Back
Top Bottom