Let's plan a Quail egg hatch... set 'em Sept. 1, hatch 'em Sept 17-19+

Quote:
Thanks.
smile.png
Holler if you need to know something. There's a lot I don't know, but there's a lot I've learned in the past couple of years. I don't think I'd change anything on this bator.

That looks like wishful thinking. Just because you use a a baseball to get them laying doesn't mean you'll get eggs that size.

OK so I had lots to do today and I waited until late to go check for any last minute eggs. Didn't get my eggs marked earlier, so I had to do that too.

I set 68 eggs at 11:30 pm. Barely made it, but they're in there. Well, I'm counting 68, but one had a tiny hole in the shell when I pulled it out of the pen, so I taped it.
hide.gif
umm.......after I accidently made the hole a tiny bit bigger. OOPS!

Almost made 70. I love that! At least I passed my higher goal of 60 and didn't have to settle for 20.

Quote:
Yep, somebody emailed me wantin' to know how big the GGs get, and I put an official size softball in there for comparison. As it turns out, they spend a lot of time makin' it roll, and when it stops, they go to town on it with their jackhammer beaks! I'm thinkin'........ya know, that may be a good frustration tool for their anger management courses next spring.....
lau.gif

Quote:
Yep, somebody emailed me wantin' to know how big the GGs get, and I put an official size softball in there for comparison. As it turns out, they spend a lot of time makin' it roll, and when it stops, they go to town on it with their jackhammer beaks! I'm thinkin'........ya know, that may be a good frustration tool for their anger management courses next spring.....
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
Love the sense of humour on here
big_smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
Love the sense of humour on here
big_smile.png

Me too

Ok, I am officially impressed! My quail presented me with two eggs this morning! First ever, so I took them and stuck them in with the other 33, so I am up to 35. These eggs were not small like pullets starting to lay, they were as big as the quail eggs I got shipped to me. Way to go girls!

I set 43 yesterday! One of the girls skipped a day.

Doc Randall, can I leave the eggs in my turning trays just like the picture you posted for hatching?

I've never done that before, but it will make it easier for me to tell who's hatched. I placed the eggs in order of laying date. I was too lazy to mark the eggs, but if I keep them in the turning trays, I'll have a good idea of which days were more viable. And as I've read, keeping them point down rather than on their sides will help prevent chicks from drowning, right?

Back
Top Bottom