Lets play... Name that chicken!

latherunner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Brighton, CO
My first post here, but I've been browsing this site since June, when I bought some ducks and did a search on Google to get tips on raising them. So far every question I've had was answered with a search of the site! Eventually I realized ducks were too messy so I sold all but three and have 10 chickens hangin' out with 'em now. I'm having a ton of fun learning about these birds and watching them!

Recently I started getting a blue egg and I'm curious who is laying it. Below are pictures of who it may possibly be, because I'm not 100% sure what breeds they are. Also, to help find out who is doing it, other than the birds pictured I have 2 SLW's, 2 WL's, a Naked Neck and a Barred Rock.

DSC_4519.jpg

This one was given to me as a Salmon Faverolles, but the Chicken Breed Chart says Faverolles lay creamy tint eggs. She looks similar to some of the birds pictured on the "FS" site, but she doesn't have the feathered feet like them, and I also think there is a strong possibility she is the one laying the blue egg, so that's what makes me wonder... any ideas?

DSC_4515.jpg

DSC_4275.jpg

(Same bird, just a neat picture
smile.png
)

This bird was given to me and they didn't know what it was, I'm guessing Black Orp? Am I right? Edit: I was browsing the chicken chart and I have another guess... Black Australorp?

DSC_4517.jpg

I bought this one and they didn't say what it was. I'm guessing Rhode Island Red? When I got her, her wings were picked and bloody and the new feathers have almost grown back in. She's a lot happier here
smile.png

DSC_4274.jpg

This is the rooster of the flock... he was sold to me as a purebred SLW, but I have my doubts because he doesn't look like any of the pictures of other SLW roosters I've seen. Think he may be?

DSC_4511.jpg

Thanks for all of the help this site has offered! I check it every morning and every night to see what else I can learn
smile.png
I shouldn't have read through the incubating part though because now I own a Hova-Bator 1588 with turner that I'll be putting some eggs into for the first time this weekend! I have hopes all will go well with all of the stuff I've learned here. Thank you!

Brandon

Last edited:
I can't see if your "Salmon Faverolle" has muffs or a beard but I suspect she is an Easter Egger. Are her legs green? If so, she's your suspect.

Here is a picture of her from back in August. Now that you say it, it looks in this picture like she may have a tint of green in her legs... hope this picture helps solve the mystery! Thanks!

DSC_3966-1.jpg

She looks like an Araucana. They come in different colors, some bearded, some non-bearded and usually lay green, blue/green eggs and sometimes even pinkish/brown eggs as did my araucana hen Strawberry from 20 years ago.

She has slate colored legs, so she's probably your guy.
I like your Austrolorp. If you ever need someone to take her off your hands ;D ...
Also, your rooster looks a ton like mine but mine has a single comb and feather legs. He was supposed to be a dark brahma, but others have said he looks like a cochin mix maybe. He's a real sweety though. Almost to a comical extent.

Yes - I agree with chickenlover on the hens.
Your first hen is an easter egger and is the one laying your blue eggs - salmon faverolles have feathered legs. I have one similar colored to yours, but mine has a grey/blue? head (they come in all colors). Most of my EEs have slate/grey legs - a few of them have green legs.

EEchicks001.jpg

#2 is probably an australorp - looks quite full-bodied, but not full enough for an orp?

#3 is a red sexlink (red star, red comet, etc) - rhode island reds are darker and will not have any white feathers

#4 - ? I'm no good with roosters

Like someone else mentioned, the legs give away the first girl as your blue egg layer. She has the darker, clean legs and the muffs to boot. All the others were answered, and the roo is SLW who could use a little more distinction in his feathering.

Back
Top Bottom