lets see the "ugly" coops plz

Quote:
That's one problem with message boards, unless someone using lots of angry words you don't really know if they are being offensive or goofy. Most of the folks around here are just plain goofy.

Being a Redneck is better than being "Po'White Trash" which is a bit worse than "White Trash", what you don't want to be called is "Trailer Trash"

Had somone tell someone else that I should be allowed to adopt another pet because I lived in a Trailer. LOL I live in a double wide AKA Modular Home, lol Most of the houses being put up around here come in 2 or more sections.
wee.gif

Sorry back to our regualr channel

I'm positive the person that said redneck was being goofy. I know they wouldn't dream of being offensive. I was just informing that it is offensive to some, is all. Being a Texan and a Southerner I've been called a redneck by people from other states that just think it means "country people" and were shocked that I found that offensive. So again, I'm only informing. Personally I'd rather be called Po' White Trash than a redneck. Trailer Trash isn't the same and you're right, it's worse. My son lives in a trailer so he knows all about the stuff you're talking about hehe.

Now to get that pic posted
yippiechickie.gif

So how do you get inside to clean the roost area and how do you engage the wheels to make it roll?

Quote:

Quote:
Me too. I consider myself a Southern Red Neck. I get my neck red all the time out hunting, making a garden, building chicken coops etc. ;-))

Quote:
lol well where I live, you'd be calling yourself a Yankee that can hardly read and runs around hanging people while wearing a white hood. And worse. But anyhow yuk it up and call yourself that but don't ever call me one
wink.png
I've tried to explain that it is offensive to some of us and if you don't get it, then I can't say I didn't try
smile.png

Anyhow, my ugly coop:

Yes, it does lean. I jacked up one side with a car jack and it leans less (lol). Was originally a shed. Then a horse stall. For storage the last 25 years (which is why all that junk is there - gotta find something to do with that stuff!). Enclosed front with scraps I had around including 1" bird wire but I had to buy a roll of chicken wire to finish it up. The lower part is all the heavy wire at least.

65925_phto0001.jpg

This is the back. The back wall rotted and got pulled off but there's a wall all the same that separates the very back from the main shed. It hasn't been painted in 30 years, other than a few spots someone started to paint then quit. Yes, I do live in the city but luckily, in a neighborhood where we all just mind our own business. The only thing that will get anyone's drawers in an uproar here is noise. And even then, only if it's frequent.

65925_phto0007.jpg

If my house looked like this I think I'd burn it down LOL

Last edited:
I am SO glad that I found this thread! I am in the middle of rehabing an old rabbit hutch for my new coop and was having illusions of grandeur (and frustration). Can I get some ugly coop ideas if I post a pic of the old hutch?

I noticed that many of these coops that had raised floors had wire flooring - why?Is it for older chickens only? I am getting chicks in a few weeks and wanted to put them into the coop asap and was thinking that wire would be bad... is this true?

Unfortunately i HAVE to use pressure treated wood here as we have HORRIBLE termite problems and my DH says absolutly NO untreated wood - and after the first termite bill I don't blame him.....

Thanks so much!

16023_img_0535.jpg

16023_img_0536.jpg

Quote:
I like your coop. Baby chicks here stay inside in a large plastic tub with sawdust or wood pellets on the bottom. I have a heat lamp held over the top by wood laid across the rim that I bolt to the plastic with wood clamps. It's important that it be well supported so it doesn't fall and set the chips on fire. When the weather was better I moved the whole system onto the back screen porch. I make sure the plastic tub is big enough they can move away from the heat source if it gets too hot. Then they can choose the best area for comfort.

I make sure they have constant fresh water and feed that is treated while they are babies to protect them from protozoan infections. They graduate to untreated feed & water once they are nearly grown. The feed store has a powder you can add to the water and they sell a treated chick starter.

If you put them outside you'll have to protect them from falling through the holes or being pulled through the holes in the wire, as well as from wind, rain, predators including snakes, etc. They don't have feathers yet so they can't regulate their own temperature. They count on mom or a heat lamp to keep them warm.

Of the 25 chicks I got this spring I lost only one bantam chick right after they got here. I figure it was stressed out from the whole journey or perhaps had gotten chilled in transit. Bantams have a harder time being shipped I've read than larger chicks. Less body mass to hold heat perhaps?

If I was set on this set up for the babies, I'd have to create a box of some kind on one end to confine them as babies - maybe some plywood pieces I could unscrew from the frame if I wished and a piece of cleanable material laid on top of the wire for them to walk on. Or hinge a piece of plywood on the large open area at the rear so you can open that like a door and remove a plastic bucket set up like I described above once they are older. Most all baby animals will thrive if kept clean, dry, warm, and well fed.

Quote:
Most people have raised floors either to save space (they can then run around under it) or because it's a converted rabbit hutch. I'm guessing that sounds familiar hehe.

Back
Top Bottom