Lets talk about goats!

Thank you all. I'm fond of the spots and dapples but my one traditional is awesome and built like a tank. She was bottle fed and is super friendly so don't think I could ever part with her. We have a couple dairy goats too that are lamancha/alpine and they are quite large for dairy goats. Here is a pic when they were first born. Mind you they are twins and look completely different:

While I like the dapples/paints, I think traditionals are my favorite too. :) I bet the Alpine/LaMancha crosses are some good goats!

They are! Great milk production and lovely temperaments. The two in the baby pic are almost two now and they will be first time moms in April. Pretty excited to see how their udders look. Their mother was a great milkers for me but she has some health issues so we retired her. She is a farm mascot and by far my favorite goat!

They are! Great milk production and lovely temperaments. The two in the baby pic are almost two now and they will be first time moms in April. Pretty excited to see how their udders look. Their mother was a great milkers for me but she has some health issues so we retired her. She is a farm mascot and by far my favorite goat!

Sound like the kind of goats I would want! :) Best of luck with the kidding, hope it goes well for both of them! I've never had LaManchas before, but I showed one a couple years ago and really loved her. LaManchas along with Boers are my favorite breeds. :)

Last edited:
Thank you! These two have shown well as dry yearlings, and the one I. The pic took her dry leg at only 4 months old, so hoping nice udders will continue their successful show career. If not, well still show, have fun, and continue to meet new people. I'm honestly just getting anxious to start making cheese and yogurt again, lol. I love lamanchas!

Thank you! These two have shown well as dry yearlings, and the one I. The pic took her dry leg at only 4 months old, so hoping nice udders will continue their successful show career. If not, well still show, have fun, and continue to meet new people. I'm honestly just getting anxious to start making cheese and yogurt again, lol. I love lamanchas!

That's what I love about showing...meeting new people, making memories, learning and having fun! Sure, placing is nice, but it's the experience that's nicer! :D Lol, post pics when you make the cheese and yogurt

So right now my doe (saige) is scratching her stomach more than usual could that mean like in the next 24 hours she'll have her baby or what

And today is the coldest day of the week and I heard that it's more likely for her to deliver in bad weather

You can tell when a goat is going to deliver within 24 hours if the ligaments along side her tail head are gone. Feel on either side of the triangular part of the tail head on a goat that isn't due and you will feel a ligament on both sides that feels like a pencil. When they are preparing for birth this ligament loosens and within 24 hours of birth, you can't feel it anymore. It disappears. I have relied on this with all our births and haven't missed one yet. You can find videos on YouTube that show you where and how to find it. Goats stick pretty close to the 150 days gestation. I had one go 154 but they don't usually fall under that. Unlike horses and other livestock, they have to come close cause the baby grows so fast. Falling short even 10 days could give you an under developed baby that will die. So if you know her breeding date you can kinda go on that but feel for those ligaments. If they are "gone", your gonna have a baby by tomorrow.

How young is to young to give a kid penicillin. It's all I have at the house. She is about 2 weeks old. I just got 1 kid outta of their shelter laying next to the nanny half dead. Close enough that I thought it was until it made a noise. She has been half as active as her twin billy pretty much since birth. I thought it was because he was extra active. I brought her in and rubbed on her next to stove. Was thinking about putting some warm water with syrup for the sugar rush to get her up enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom