Lets talk about layer feed...

Yeah, generally speaking the average individual won't notice a difference in their roosters... Most peoples roosters don't make it far enough to die of kidney failure, they are usually eaten by something or replaced before then, so the average experience here might not be reflective of your needs. Between that and the fact that every birds body is different and many roosters CAN live to be 10 or so on layer feed it can be hard to notice any substantial differences. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with my rooster on layer feed, then he got eaten by a raccoon so it didn't really matter if he was going to die in a year or two from kidney failure. :T It's hard to justify feeding a totally separate feed for a bird that has a real chance of not making it past their first 4 years either way.

But for a pet chicken, a bird you care for and keep safe, a bird that isn't going to be lost to predation, isn't replaced with a more fertile and young cock, a bird that could possibly warrant vet visits, etc... Absolutely layer feed can be a problem. The reality of the excess calcium is true. It exists in all sort of animals, and it's a serious problem in even mammals like rabbits. It shorten lifespans and causes kidney issues. So if you wanna keep this rooster as a pet, absolutely just go for an all-flock feed and separate out your oyster shell for the hens.

If you're keeping your rooster for breeding (where their fertility likely falls off at 4-5 years and need replacing anyhow), if you are expecting your rooster's life to be on the line for his hens in a predator-heavy environment, or if your flock is for eating, layer feed will serve your purposes just fine. If you want longevity, separate the feed.

Yeah, generally speaking the average individual won't notice a difference in their roosters... Most peoples roosters don't make it far enough to die of kidney failure, they are usually eaten by something or replaced before then, so the average experience here might not be reflective of your needs. Between that and the fact that every birds body is different and many roosters CAN live to be 10 or so on layer feed it can be hard to notice any substantial differences. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with my rooster on layer feed, then he got eaten by a raccoon so it didn't really matter if he was going to die in a year or two from kidney failure. :T It's hard to justify feeding a totally separate feed for a bird that has a real chance of not making it past their first 4 years either way.

But for a pet chicken, a bird you care for and keep safe, a bird that isn't going to be lost to predation, isn't replaced with a more fertile and young cock, a bird that could possibly warrant vet visits, etc... Absolutely layer feed can be a problem. The reality of the excess calcium is true. It exists in all sort of animals, and it's a serious problem in even mammals like rabbits. It shorten lifespans and causes kidney issues. So if you wanna keep this rooster as a pet, absolutely just go for an all-flock feed and separate out your oyster shell for the hens.

If you're keeping your rooster for breeding (where their fertility likely falls off at 4-5 years and need replacing anyhow), if you are expecting your rooster's life to be on the line for his hens in a predator-heavy environment, or if your flock is for eating, layer feed will serve your purposes just fine. If you want longevity, separate the feed.

I agree, especially for free range flocks. I never see my roosters eating the layer ration anyways. They are always out scarfing down bugs and such. And due to the mild weather here there are insects available all year.

Also true that free range roosters often lay down their life defending the flock long before they can die of old age.

Okay so I want to start by saying that my chickens are my pets and the eggs are just a nice bonus :) I did a lot of research in the few months that I have had them, but I learn something new everyday. I currently have 3 hens and 1 roo, I did some research on feeding roosters layer feed and I didn't come across anything that said it would be harmful for him. Well now the other day someone posted that her rooster died from gout from the excess calcium in the layer feed that her rooster was eating. What is everyone thoughts on this? I absolutely do not want to hurt my rooster by feeding him layer feed so I am going to switch to an All Flock feed and supply oyster shells for calcium for my girls. What is everyones favorite all flock feeds/oyster shell brands? I want the best!
First, I realize that our situations are quite different but the same in ways. I see that you live in New Jersey and some very good brands of different feed are probably available to you that aren't available in other parts of the country and vice versa. I do feed my birds a show blend of feed that was recommended to me by a top breeder that is available in my area (F-R-M Show Gold). I feed my male birds the same feed as my female birds. I think whatever killed that person's male bird was not due to the feed being layer feed. I do breed birds for show and for eggs. During the summer months my older birds get layer and/or Show Gold Maintenance, because it's hot here then and they don't need the extra protein. During the fall and winter they get a higher protein breeder feed which is good for their molt and getting them in condition for breeding, and nice healthy chicks. The younger birds in grow-out get the Show Gold Grower. The chicks get a 26% protein, Show Gold Starter. The older birds always have oyster shells, and grit available to them. I started with a few birds and added more and more birds over the years, but since I retired 10 years ago I went in a new direction. Good luck and have fun...

When it was time to convert my hens over to layer feed I researched and asked the same question on this forum, since I had 2 roos. I was having trouble with thin shells and shell-less eggs, and I was worried that grower feed with oyster shells on the side wasn't cutting it. Someone recommended ground up eggshells with the oyster shell. I heat them in 200 deg oven until dry, and then crunch them up. Since I started doing that they have been more enthusiastic about eating their daily ration of calcium. The hens come in for the night and load up on the shells before they hit the food and water, my remaining roo ignores the shells and just eats his pelleted food. The fact that the roos don't bother with it says it all, IMO. I'm much more comfortable with this arrangement, and the egg production is much better now.

I wanted organic grower pellets, which are almost impossible to find. I did find Green Mountain feed makes it, and it is sold in the same store as my Poulin horse feed. I thought they were actually the same company, since I did see something on the internet that said that, but I am not sure. Maybe they just share the same truck in shipping since they both come from VT? Perhaps your store could order it for you if they carry Poulin feed. My birds were wasting tons of crumble, this they clean up quite well. It is quite expensive, but the fact that there is less waste is justifying that so far. And they free range most of the day anyway. The closest store to me does mark it up 10$ a bag more than others though.....hoping to find another dealer soon.

I feed everybody a mix of feather fixer, all flock crumbles, grit and scratch grains. I treat them to watermelon or cantaloupes once a week and just discovered they LOVE fresh cranberries so get those once a week. My ladies get a small bowl of oyster shell. My ladies also get egg laying rest this time of year. We do not eat eggs often so no eggs are no biggie. When they start laying in earnest the extra eggs get fed to them which everybody goes crazy over.

Okay so I want to start by saying that my chickens are my pets and the eggs are just a nice bonus :) I did a lot of research in the few months that I have had them, but I learn something new everyday. I currently have 3 hens and 1 roo, I did some research on feeding roosters layer feed and I didn't come across anything that said it would be harmful for him. Well now the other day someone posted that her rooster died from gout from the excess calcium in the layer feed that her rooster was eating. What is everyone thoughts on this? I absolutely do not want to hurt my rooster by feeding him layer feed so I am going to switch to an All Flock feed and supply oyster shells for calcium for my girls. What is everyones favorite all flock feeds/oyster shell brands? I want the best!
This is a good post! this has always been a concern of mine too. Someone told me it's hard on a roosters kidneys, so I switch to all flock because I was so paranoid. My chickens are my pets too, I have two girls and one rooster. I try to give them oyster shell. Ugh I want to do them both good. So this will be interesting to see what people say!

The chicken hobby has really gotten complicated over the last few years. When I was a dairy farmer, your feed mix for production was pretty similar to everyone else and if it needed improvement you figured it out to find what worked for you and your animals. WE didn't have herb bags in stalls so it smelled like a flowered valley in Sweden, curtains in their stalls for 'comfort and quiet time', child toys to keep them amused. What they didn't get in perspective and opinions, they received in appreciation, good house keeping and the attention I feel they deserved.
I do love this site, but be assured you will NEVER get one collective solid answer on anything. There are just to many prospective s, junior scientist and stall hard old salts on here and honestly its all out frustrating at times sorting through the madness. All my chickens are pets and have no other purpose on earth than to just live and be a chicken. Yes mine eat apples and occasionally eat an apple seed (Gasp!!) They are still alive. But even with the best intentions and care the chances of them realistically living to a ripe age where kidney failure due to calcium toxicity is an issue is rare sadly. 10 is very old for a chicken or rooster. Thing is just take what you can from here and what people have to say (Included this post), do your own research, try some things out and do what you believe with all your new found knowledge what you feel works for them and you. Good luck with them, seems they are in amazingly good hands.

Back
Top Bottom