Let's Talk About Manners...

Quote:
OMG!
I repeat, "Well, actually, you do need the apostrophe because "correcting" is a gerund, not a verb, and "someone's" is a possessive pronoun being used as a limiting adjective modifying the infinitives "to hear or to read".

I wrote that to be a PITA, not a grammar nazi.
tongue.gif
I don't really care in this instance. Besides, wouldn't it be "read someone's correcting OF someone else's"...?

Now, had you used "it's" incorrectly, I'd come unglued.

I to was trying too be a smarty pants two make a funny.....I apparently failed miserably...
idunno.gif
(psst, was this one any better....It's hard to be funny on this thing.)

When you are visiting or living in a culture not your own, please, fer cryin' out loud, learn the local customs and obey them. If the local language is not your native tongue, try to speak at least a few simple phrases: please, thank you, I'd like a cup of tea, where is the bathroom. Do not shout at me louder in your native tongue and hope that I shall understand by the overwhelming force of your ESP and frantic gestures.

I'm tired of being asked questions that are, in the US, not to be discussed in polite company (health, politics, religion, sexuality). It aggrieves me even more when these questions come from people who measure their time in the US/Europe in decades rather than months. These things are not appropriate to discuss in the workplace or with someone you barely know.

Also, it is not polite to speak other languages in front of people whom you ASSUME do not speak them, in the hopes of having a semi-private conversation in a public place. When in Rome, speak Italian, capisce? I am also extremely annoyed by men who make rude, sexist or racist comments in their native language(s) and are shocked, shocked! that an American also somehow knows all the cusswords in Spanish/French/Italian/etc. If you want to have a private conversation, go somewhere private to have it. If you don't want someone else to understand what you are saying in their presence, you had best not say it.

Quote:
I HATE IT when people talk with their mouth open!!! Chew then talk it is so gross if you talk and chew at the same time
sickbyc.gif

Sorry but I need to open my mouth to talk.
lol.png
gig.gif
lau.gif

I laughed at that too!
gig.gif

Quote:
My sis and I experienced this very thing not too many years ago. We were in a store when two Hispanic men made very rude comments in Spanish. My sister is fluent in Spanish - she even studied in Spain for a while. Boy were they shocked when she responded to them!!

Quote:
OMG!
I repeat, "Well, actually, you do need the apostrophe because "correcting" is a gerund, not a verb, and "someone's" is a possessive pronoun being used as a limiting adjective modifying the infinitives "to hear or to read".

Forgive me, I had not read your detailed response before posting mine. However "grammatically correct" your explanation is (and bravo for it) In the common vernacular, the "is" is not necessary. Although it maybe not "proper" or as my friend from New Zealand always says "the Queens English", it is an acceptable sentence structure.

scbatz33, my apostrophe was to show possession, not contraction. You are 100% right because any sentence structure that's understandable is CORRECT. All that nonsense I wrote is "standard" malarky that the self-appointed grammar police like to toss around to correct others. 99% of them don't know what they're talking about or really understand the real purpose of language.

I have many pet peeves but here are a few:

Cracking knuckles in public or at home. I hate the sound. It drives me crazy!!!!!!!

The passing gas thing. Keep your gas to yourself!!!!

Scratching private parts. I hate to see someone digging into their private areas in public or at home for that matter. Goodness sake, get flea spray or something.

I also hate to see the 5 sizes too small clothss on anyone. I am not tiny but I don't try to squeeze into mini skirts or muffin top jeans. Buy a mirror for goodness sake and take a look before you leave the house.

Wheeww. Now I need to take a breathe.
big_smile.png

Quote:
It makes me CRAZY when I DO say excuse me and people just stand there like taking up the entire grocery aisle is their right.
somad.gif

I'm with you on that!! Or if they walk down the MIDDLE of the parking lot and won't move!!!

Back
Top Bottom