Lets talk automatic doors for the chicken coop!!

Yes, run is predator proof. Vinyl flaps will be to keep out winter drafts.
Doesn't the coop have a pop door? If the pop door is closed at night, there will be no drafts, and if it's open during the day but the chickens are outside, drafts in the coop during the day would be irrelevant. Also, drafts only matter if they are at roost level, or if they bring moisture in from rain/snow blowing through the pop door. If the roost is above the level of the pop door (as it should), drafts from the pop door won't get to the chickens. The dangerous kind of draft is one that ruffles the chickens' feathers and breaks the insulation that they provide. Air moving below or above the roost is not a problem. The goal isn't to keep the coop warm, but to keep it dry. If the coop has enough open ventilation (as it should), at the top (as it should), then warm air will escape through it and the inside and outside temperature will be pretty much the same. Which is fine, as long as the coop is dry and wind isn't blowing directly on the chickens and breaking their feather seal.

Presumably the door is much lower than the roosts so the door ads to the total ventilation requirements I would think?

But I do not know your set up, maybe the door faces the prevailing winds? Or you already have 1SF per bird 24/7 ventilation in the coop so it's not an issue?
The door is 'lower' but not 'much lower.' You can see it in the back on the right. The left and right windows are closed up with plexiglass. I have over 4 sq ft of ventilation around the top and with a top window: that the sides and pop door are not counted in that.

My concern is that the always-open door into the secure run will let in a draft from there up to the roof ventilation. That's why I want to add some vinyl flaps to help block any draft.

The back wall faces the prevailing wind from the west.

IMG_20211027_121406_236.jpg

Doesn't the coop have a pop door? If the pop door is closed at night, there will be no drafts, and if it's open during the day but the chickens are outside, drafts in the coop during the day would be irrelevant. Also, drafts only matter if they are at roost level, or if they bring moisture in from rain/snow blowing through the pop door. If the roost is above the level of the pop door (as it should), drafts from the pop door won't get to the chickens. The dangerous kind of draft is one that ruffles the chickens' feathers and breaks the insulation that they provide. Air moving below or above the roost is not a problem. The goal isn't to keep the coop warm, but to keep it dry. If the coop has enough open ventilation (as it should), at the top (as it should), then warm air will escape through it and the inside and outside temperature will be pretty much the same. Which is fine, as long as the coop is dry and wind isn't blowing directly on the chickens and breaking their feather seal.
pop door is always open to the secure run.

roost is just above door. (picture above)

pop door is always open to the secure run.

roost is just above door. (picture above)
I see. Those small, short coops are trickier and vertically challenged. Is the pop door protected by the covered run? It’s hard to see from the picture. Do you have pictures from a different angle, that show how the run and coop are connected? And how much of the run is covered by the tarp/sheet? If the run is up against the coop and you can extend the covered part down on both sides to the level of the bottom of the pop door, then that should protect the doorway from wind.

I see. Those small, short coops are trickier and vertically challenged. Is the pop door protected by the covered run? It’s hard to see from the picture. Do you have pictures from a different angle, that show how the run and coop are connected? And how much of the run is covered by the tarp/sheet? If the run is up against the coop and you can extend the covered part down on both sides to the level of the bottom of the pop door, then that should protect the doorway from wind.
Here the best view I have without going and getting another picture. From here you can see the small bridge between the coop and the run.

My plan is to replace the landscape fabric cover with thick plastic.

So, if I cover the 'bridge' with plastic as well, that might further deter drafts ... but I still think some flaps on one end or the other will help.

IMG_20210713_181751_268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom