Lets talk automatic doors for the chicken coop!!

Ador1 has done a great job for us.

Ours is a year and a half old and has operated smoothly from day one. Runs on a 9v battery which we just now replaced (easy) more out of caution than for any other reason. Opens and closes in response to the sun, and the sensitivity is significantly adjustable. A wired sensor is mounted somewhere outside on the coop. The birds become attuned to the noise it makes when operating - no squished birds.

Normal operation can be easily circumvented if you need to keep the coop closed for some reason.

Automatic doors aren’t cheep 🙄 but well worth the added security and convenience.

Pullet Shut.
I second the Pullet-Shut. They open on a side hinge so you don't need vertical space and there isn't any channel for the door to run in. It is all metal. I have the photocell so the door opens and closes with sunrise and sunset. No "programming" necessary, no changing it as the hours of daylight change. If you don't have the photo cell the "programming" is cumbersome and involves manually opening the door (with the magnet) in the morning at the time you want it to open and do the same thing to close it at night.

The door has a "second chance" feature in case you have a bird that isn't paying attention when the door closes. It will reopen after a couple of minutes then close again.

They run on 12V, you can buy them with the battery and a solar panel or a plug for a 110V outlet. I had no power in the barn when I got it and wasn't sure if there would be enough sun to keep the battery charged so I bought just the door. I connected two 6V lantern batteries in series and connected the door to that. The original batteries were used, no idea what their charge level was but they lasted over a year. The next set did as well (same age as the original 2 since they came out of a 4 battery "lantern"). New alkaline batteries replaced those and I think they ran 3 years?? In any case this door uses VERY little power and the solar setup would have worked fine.

@bruceha2000 is correct. The door shuts, then opens after 1 minute (for 10 seconds) to give any slow birds a second chance. The solar option is nice. It will keep the battery charged and allow you to run a low voltage light in the coop if you wish. Adding a timer to the light is advised to control battery discharge.

Ador1 has done a great job for us.

Ours is a year and a half old and has operated smoothly from day one. Runs on a 9v battery which we just now replaced (easy) more out of caution than for any other reason. Opens and closes in response to the sun, and the sensitivity is significantly adjustable. A wired sensor is mounted somewhere outside on the coop. The birds become attuned to the noise it makes when operating - no squished birds.

Normal operation can be easily circumvented if you need to keep the coop closed for some reason.

Automatic doors aren’t cheep 🙄 but well worth the added security and convenience.
Fully agree on Ador. I've had one for 2 years, just added a second coop and another Ador door. Predators cannot get the door open once it's closed. I can use it on automatic (light sensing) or manual. Well built and owner will answer any questions. American made!

I have an omlet and I love it. Only problem is mine is a bit to low to the ground which means all the extra straw and bedding has been causing it to be stuck from opening. I have to dig the materials out to allow the frame to open /slide. But I would highly recommend it and just place it above their bedding.

Definitely install the door a few inches above the top of whatever it has to swing over. If it is a guillotine door, mount the frame high enough that litter will be a few inches lower than the bottom of the frame.

Last edited:
Hello all! Winter is coming and as of now, our coop door is attached to our run so our 6 chickens can come and go from their coop into their run everyday. With winter coming, and cold weather, i need to consider a door for the coop. I would ideally prefer an automatic door that will open every morning for them. I am here to ask for advice on a good brand or design. I have read stories of chickens getting smooshed! I would also prefer a battery operated door that will open on a timer daily for the winter. Thanks in advance! 🐓❤️
I say build your own. These doors are often made cheap and are not really all that strong. AND THE COST WOW! I have read reviews on all these doors and they all had reviews that say it dies and bad customer service. But why bother. If you build your own you will learn how to fix it and replace small parts on your own.

Here is a video, I just made to demo, this example on how the SONOFF can be used to open and close with the sunrise and sunset but also be controlled by remote. Via RF remote, Phone or PC. I also added the Safety Return Up/Down Feature with pressure switch. It will go up and down until the obstruction is cleared OR it reaches a Attempt Count Limit. Then it stops and holds at the most closed/shut position it can. Video below. Only took 30 min to put together. Timer version in background (video on that one later). Only takes a few connectors, the SONOFF, an $8 counter and a Triple Pole Double Throw Relay.

Don't get discouraged when you see the wiring up on the board. This is a test board with Linear Actuator where I test out most of my wiring setups, so it has to accommodate a multitude of components. The setup I am proposing only needs a limit switch on top and pressures switch/bar, that anyone can make, on bottom of door.

The MHCOZY 4CH WiFi RF Wireless Switch and/or SONOFF 4CHPROR3 both can handle WiFi and they both have RF remote control capability. SONOFF costs $10 more but well worth it.

If that doesn't do it for you I might have a few other options. I also have a multitude of wiring diagrams. Will be making a diagram for the one in the video but I just put it together a bit ago.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldjQ1tkBt8HznjDsUMlA14M7dZHDLPgr/view?usp=sharing

P.S. This SONOFF is four channel. You only need two of those channels. The other two can be used for automated lights, feeders or water heaters.

On a different note. All this talk about ventilation can also be taken care of with a DIN rail Temperature and Humidity sensor with a linear actuator that will open and close a window.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom