Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by geebs, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Not sure what it would be on the chart....

[​IMG]

I hatched this pullet from my flock that was hatched from BHB's flock before she sold them all.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I have an empty bator, so you can send some of those along a.s.a.p., thanks! [​IMG] Wow. I am so jealous!

3. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:hard to tell from the picture but very nice- are you planning to hatch any out [​IMG]?

4. Harris5

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Quote:I have an empty bator, so you can send some of those along a.s.a.p., thanks! [​IMG] Wow. I am so jealous!

Honestly I was shocked to find it was the GCM and not the BCM pullet laying the eggs. I have some test hatching to do before I should share eggs. It sure would be nice to duplicate her!

5. Harris5

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Quote:hard to tell from the picture but very nice- are you planning to hatch any out [​IMG]?

I plan to hatch as many as I can from her. I need to find a VERY nice BCM boy to start a project with her. I have two decent GCM cockerels to potentially work with too.

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

I plan to hatch as many as I can from her. I need to find a VERY nice BCM boy to start a project with her. I have two decent GCM cockerels to potentially work with too.

I was told not to cross the GCs with BCMs because the BCs are wheaten based (?)
    or something like that. I know- it seems like the best way to introduce dark egg color, but apparently its a step backwards color-wise. I still want some eggs though- put me on the list!!!!!!

7. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    OK
    Hens~Yes they are his chicks he has the feather legged gene. Yes the Blacks do seem to be easyer for me to find.

Harris5~ That is a beautiful egg! Yes please put me on your list also!
    How are your white chicks doing? I lost all of mine so reordered them. She was in a car wreck so I had to wait forever and then someone packed and shipped them for her and wow was that a bad job! I ut them into lockdown last night but I don't think I will get anything from them and she is going to reship a better packed set so there is still hope!!

8. Harris5

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Quote:I plan to hatch as many as I can from her. I need to find a VERY nice BCM boy to start a project with her. I have two decent GCM cockerels to potentially work with too.

I was told not to cross the GCs with BCMs because the BCs are wheaten based (?)
    or something like that. I know- it seems like the best way to introduce dark egg color, but apparently its a step backwards color-wise. I still want some eggs though- put me on the list!!!!!!

Hmm....VC suggested crossing them with BCM as a long term project to get GCM that breed true. I also read some info posted by Blackdotte about creating GCM using BCM. I thought Don mentioned something about it as well. I'm not interested in creating a genetic mess...so feedback is appreciated. I'm just trying to keep the few I have left going since they seem to have nice type and decent egg color. It seems that combo is tough to find in GCM.

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I was told not to cross the GCs with BCMs because the BCs are wheaten based (?)

Hmm....VC suggested crossing them with BCM as a long term project to get GCM that breed true. I also read some info posted by Blackdotte about creating GCM using BCM. I thought Don mentioned something about it as well. I'm not interested in creating a genetic mess...so feedback is appreciated. I'm just trying to keep the few I have left going since they seem to have nice type and decent egg color. It seems that combo is tough to find in GCM.

I know what you mean- I cannot remember who said that. Might have been somebody in NC? I had planned on using a black copper roo as well, that's how I found out.

I have been watching these other ebay eggs for a while ( that are also in NC)- they have a huge flock. The roos are gorgeous, but there is no pic of the egg color. I will have to ask before I take the plunge.

10. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Quote:I was told not to cross the GCs with BCMs because the BCs are wheaten based (?)

I like the idea of improving egg color from BCM, but I like the GCM to have more of a gold color than the orange copper of the BCM. That might just be me though? [​IMG] I would like to work on getting a more uniform pattern of gold on just the head and neck like the BCM. I had acouple GCM pullets and the coloring varied alot, sadly I lost 2 of them, but the one I have left I think has the best coloring. I didn't want to hatch through the winter but I just might to get some chicks just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by