Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

fullsizeoutput_aba-jpeg.1060313

nice long back ,

she has not as much copper on her hackle like her hatch mate Or just the light is hiding it .

chooks man

In my experience their eggs are not as dark brown as a Black Copper Marans. I put my GCM rooster over my darkest BCM hens, as well as a blue and a cuckoo hen, to hopefully improve the egg color. The eggs are extra large size though.

great plain .
the Golden cuckoo marans pair up nicely with the BCM and BLCM . this mating will produce a dark cuckoo .( single barred )

I m doing the same thing this breeding season .dark cuckoo F1 over a BCM and BLCM

chooks man

fullsizeoutput_aba-jpeg.1060313

nice long back ,

she has not as much copper on her hackle like her hatch mate Or just the light is hiding it .

chooks man
She has some gold coming in on her hackles, but not nearly as much as the male. This pair were hatched April 6, so they are 11 weeks old. There is one cuckoo marans in the breeding pen that is the half sister to the cock. I don't know which hen laid which egg though. The other 3 hens are unrelated to the rooster. They are 2 BCM's and 1 BLCM. I guess there isn't really any way to tell at this point. All the hens have been broody in that pen. Thus far, I haven't gotten a blue that is cuckoo. Will that show up later? I like @morbius18 GCM's the best of any I have seen in the US. I continue to get an occasional white marans from them. @morbius18 rooster's legacy.

She has some gold coming in on her hackles, but not nearly as much as the male. This pair were hatched April 6, so they are 11 weeks old. There is one cuckoo marans in the breeding pen that is the half sister to the cock. I don't know which hen laid which egg though. The other 3 hens are unrelated to the rooster. They are 2 BCM's and 1 BLCM. I guess there isn't really any way to tell at this point. All the hens have been broody in that pen. Thus far, I haven't gotten a blue that is cuckoo. Will that show up later? I like @morbius18 GCM's the best of any I have seen in the US. I continue to get an occasional white marans from them. @morbius18 rooster's legacy.

if you did not get the Blue cuckoo ,than it is not there .
the blue if is there will show up .

I agree with you Morbius18 has the best looking GCM I have seen out of France ( Monique Berte flock . she is the only one who has them any way )

chooks man

if you did not get the Blue cuckoo ,than it is not there .
the blue if is there will show up .

I agree with you Morbius18 has the best looking GCM I have seen out of France ( Monique Berte flock . she is the only one who has them any way )

chooks man

Since my last posting, I had been quite busy with our farm. We also had a disaster. We were free ranging our juveniles in a 1/2 acre area with 3 foot chicken wire around it. A fox got in and killed 12 of my blue gcms. It wiped out my entire earlier hatch, as well as attacked my blue copper mother of the new line.

We isolated her in a crate for a week to allow her open wounds to scab over without flies. We put some of her younger babies with her to motivate her. She had attacked the fox and fought it off protecting the babies. My rooster ran. It took her about 2 weeks to learn to walk again and not scoot around. She healed up perfectly and mothered the babies again.

That being said, I got rid of the GCM F0 rooster, the F1 and F2 hen. I kept a batch of the F0 to blue copper cross and will be redoing the line from those.

This is the F1 blue GCM son of that pairing:
2017-07-23 21.46.44.jpg
2017-07-23 21.45.21.jpg

View attachment 1088027

I've got 9 more that I kept, 5 pullets and 4 cockerals.

Some are blue some are black with their mother, the blue copper hen:
2017-07-23 21.44.25.jpg

2017-07-23 21.46.25.jpg

I have a question on this guy. His dam is the above blue copper hen. I bought her as a week old chick from a blue and black copper flock. She never developed the copper. It seems that she also doesn't pass it along. The GCM sire was gold, and she has no red/copper. This cockeral could pass as a blue. No obvious barring or gold/ blue. What does this say about the mother's genetics?
2017-07-23 21.44.39.jpg

You are having a horrible time with predators. I am so sorry for your losses.
I am so glad your hen survived. The healing power of your momma hen is amazing. If you can use any of the ones I have been hatching from your F1 rooster you are welcome to them. I am glad to help. Some of mine dont have the gold, but most do. I must get more pictures. I have them running around everywhere here. This is a picture I took yesterday. He des not have the gold, but is still a beautiful bird.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ba8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ba8.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 4
You are having a horrible time with predators. I am so sorry for your losses.
I am so glad your hen survived. The healing power of your momma hen is amazing. If you can use any of the ones I have been hatching from your F1 rooster you are welcome to them. I am glad to help. Some of mine dont have the gold, but most do. I must get more pictures. I have them running around everywhere here. This is a picture I took yesterday. He des not have the gold, but is still a beautiful bird.

I was tired of fooling with the browns, whites and lack of gold on some. Plus the new line all hatched from these color eggs on the left from the blue copper:
2017-07-23 21.46.02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom