Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Here's the feet. I think we have identified the Mille fleur too - so can't be this one.
They also told me my welsummer is a black copper marans - I don't know how you can mix those up! But anyway. Thanks!

Here's the feet. I think we have identified the Mille fleur too - so can't be this one.
They also told me my welsummer is a black copper marans - I don't know how you can mix those up! But anyway. Thanks!

Generally you can tell by the down color. The two 'types' of Golden Cuckoo marans in the US are e+ based which show as chipmunk striped and ER based which look like penguins. If the down is all brown is wouldn't be one of those.

How feathered are the legs? And what color, I cannot see in the pic. Are you sure it's a marans? I don't know of any eb based marans that a hatchery would have.

Last edited:
It doesn't really look like either of those. It looks a bit like eb- but I am not sure. I have two chipmunk looking chicks which I thought were a welsummer and a speckled Sussex. I guess we are going to have to wait until everyone gets their feathers to be sure!

The leg feathering is light brown. I'll try to take a pic in good light tomorrow. She is starting to get some spotted/striped brown wing feathers too but the chest and head are mostly white. Maybe she is the Sussex? I'm really confused now. No more splitting orders with my neighbor!!

It sure did help. Of all the searching I've done I had begun to think he was every other Look Alike you can imagine, so frustrating. You are truly invaluable to us here on this site. Thank you so much.

it is eb barred chick .not a true golden cuckoo marans .because the eb variety does not exist any more .been going for a while .
any way this chick if is a cockerel .he ll feather up as a Golden cuckoo with a Brown wing triangle like a red partridge rooster
if is a pullet than she ll look like golden cuckoo with a lot gold going all the way down her chest

some body didn t know what they where doing and mixed the marans with a partridge strain .

can you please take a photos of her/him on a floor so we can see the type .
marans chicks are chunky ,short with a wide bottom .plus a thick head .

chooks man

I am not sure it's a Marans at all! But based on what we ordered, and what we think we got, I'm only missing my "mystery Marans" which they advertise as possibly a GCM.

Here are some better pics. I sent a pic to the hatchery too asking for help.

I am not sure it's a Marans at all! But based on what we ordered, and what we think we got, I'm only missing my "mystery Marans" which they advertise as possibly a GCM.

Here are some better pics. I sent a pic to the hatchery too asking for help.

she look marans chick to me .
it is eb for sure 100% and barred too .
this chicks is not a F1 hybrid ,it is well worked to get get the eb hatch down ( recessive ) . What I m trying to say it is a advance hybrid. some body has bred the eb strain ( golden in this case ) with a marans and selected for a marans look and type .

hope you ll get some explanation from the hatchery .

lovely looking chicks by the way .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom