Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

first of all what color is her hatch down before we go too deep .

your F0 rooster carries quite few extra genes to be able to produce this sort of chicks .

this gene don t work well as individual ,but they work together to form pattern .

the lacing gene ( Pg ) need a Db ( dark brown ) and the Dilute Di or Mahogany Mh to form a lacing pattern dominant than the barring ( I think your F0 carries Dilute Di not Mahogany Mh )

this is a reason why you are getting only few chicks and pullets too .because the F0 rooster carries the genes and passes them to his daughter . the son get more genes from mama hen

if you want to breed that pattern you need to mate a pullet back to her sire F0 .this way you ll be helping the genes to express them selves ..

PS ; I was trying to say they come in silver too Not she is silver .she is a golden pullets for sure .

Chooks man

Ok, the chicks hatch out with brown down.

Your F0 is certainly an interesting fellow. He has all sorts of interesting attributes. BTW, I am not going to be coming to East TN in June now.

:( 

He certainly is a mixed bag of 'issues'.

I got him really cheap with a plain cuckoo hen. The person breeds straight cornish chickens and said that he couldn't get any of the birds to look alike. I guess I know why now. It is very interesting what he has produced for me now, though. I'm getting nice golden cuckoos, blue golden cuckoos, recessive whites, laced and penciled patridges.

Last edited:
any photos please ,so we can see what we are talking about .

the hatch down color of the chick can tell a lot about it genetic make up .

chooks man

Two different ones here. From F0 rooster over F1 hen:

Solid brown one, looks like a pullet:

Brown barred looking, possible cockeral:

Last edited:
Two different ones here. From F0 rooster over F1 hen:

Solid brown one, looks like a pullet:

Brown barred looking, possible cockeral:

Ah my friend we can see from the color of the chicks hatch down that they are dark Brown eb/eb not ER .Not Ewh and For sure not e+.
second thing we can see they are barred so they have Barring genes too

the pattern genes. Dilute genes and other modifying genes we can t at this stage yet .

so they are partridge brown barred as chicks but when adult they look like Partridge Gold or Cream multiple laced or penciled Barred .

if we remove the Barring genes than we ll allow the lacing or the penciling to better express it self .

I guess your F0 is ER / eb s+/s+ .B/B . Di/di+. Pg/Pg and other genes

I say he has a Dilute gene Di because this gold is more of a cream plus some of his F1/F2 cockerels look him other look golden as the Standard request .without a Dilute gene.

in this situation if I was you I only breed the F1 X F1 ( between them selves ) and hatch as many as I can and see all the possible genetic combination that will show up . bigger the hatch number better will be the genetic expression . than from there I ll breed the F2 with F2 the ones they look a like in any pattern .cuckoo X cuckoo .Partridge X Partridge etc.......... to make a true F3 inbred line for that color pattern .

all this are my personal thought I could be wrong
if some one a different explanation than Welcome

chooks man

Ah my friend we can see from the color of the chicks hatch down that they are dark Brown eb/eb not ER .Not Ewh and For sure not e+.
second thing we can see they are barred so they have Barring genes too

the pattern genes. Dilute genes and other modifying genes we can t at this stage yet .

so they are partridge brown barred as chicks but when adult they look like Partridge  Gold or Cream multiple laced or penciled  Barred .

if we remove the Barring genes than we ll allow the lacing or the penciling to  better express it self .

I guess your F0 is ER / eb  s+/s+ .B/B . Di/di+. Pg/Pg and other genes

I say he has a Dilute gene Di because this gold is more of a cream plus some of his F1/F2 cockerels look him other look golden as the Standard request .without a Dilute gene.

in this situation if I was you I only breed the F1 X F1 ( between them selves ) and hatch as many as I can and see all the possible genetic combination that will show up . bigger the hatch number better will be the genetic expression . than from there I ll breed the F2 with F2 the ones they look a like in any pattern .cuckoo X cuckoo .Partridge X Partridge etc.......... to make a true F3 inbred line for that color pattern  .

all this are my personal thought I could be wrong
if some one a different explanation than Welcome

chooks man

When I moved we downsized the flock. I ended up getting rid of the F1 single barred as he didn't get gold enough.

Right now, I have the F0 rooster, an F1 hen, 2 F2 hens from my original crossing to a F0 black copper hen.

I've restarted and used the dark laying blue copper hen as the new F0. So far I'm raising up 6 pullets and 8 cockerals from this crossing. 5 pullets and 5 cockerals are blue barred. The blue copper went broody and has 11 more under her.

I hate having to start over, but moving and having to rebuild everything from scratch caused my to have to thin everything down.

I've noticed a few chicks that look properly barred and colored, but have a little brown on the tips, like a mossiness on a black copper. Is this ER/eb showing on these?

When I moved we downsized the flock. I ended up getting rid of the F1 single barred as he didn't get gold enough.

Right now, I have the F0 rooster, an F1 hen, 2 F2 hens from my original crossing to a F0 black copper hen.

I've restarted and used the dark laying blue copper hen as the new F0. So far I'm raising up 6 pullets and 8 cockerals from this crossing. 5 pullets and 5 cockerals are blue barred. The blue copper went broody and has 11 more under her.

I hate having to start over, but moving and having to rebuild everything from scratch caused my to have to thin everything down.

I've noticed a few chicks that look properly barred and colored, but have a little brown on the tips, like a mossiness on a black copper. Is this ER/eb showing on these?
Would any of the ones I have help you in any way? I guess I have a F1 rooster and the 2 hens. Let me know if you want any of their eggs to for your project.

Would any of the ones I have help you in any way? I guess I have a F1 rooster and the 2 hens. Let me know if you want any of their eggs to for your project. 

Thank you for the offer, but I really like the egg color of my new F0 hen, plus I like the blue barred ones quite a bit. I'll be able to do blue over black and get more blues and black and select from those, also vastly improving egg color.

Last edited:

I like the Blue crossing you made . blue hen has a really dark eggs .
now that you know your F0 ( me I say P1 stand for Parent stock 1 of the crossing ) carries different thing .So don t cross him to this new F1 .

do F1 X F1 ( Blue barred Cockerel over a Black barred pullet and Black barred cockerel over a blue barred pullets . that way you don t get a splash cuckoo if you are not interested on it .

if you hatch 25 chicks from each combination ,you should be able to see a true F2 possible expression .

I m working my self with the F1 X F1 in many of my line and I can tell you a lot stuff come out . peoples added many thing to this poor French chooks .

I never cross the F1 population to any other thing only to the F1 .

it is the only way to let the F1 express them self better by mating them together

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom