Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Dark single barred rooster. Never really developed creme or red, just lighter. He had really bad frostbite on his tips.
2018-02-28 15.25.02.jpg
2018-02-28 15.27.13.jpg
2018-02-28 15.27.35.jpg

I've got my first sitter. She's maybe a year old and has been sitting for the past 3 days. I gave her 3 Ameraucana cross to Black single barred rooster and 7 of the darkest marans eggs from both pens. We are still 3 weeks away from the first day of spring. It's a little early, but I don't discourage sitting.
2018-02-28 15.27.59.jpg
2018-02-28 15.28.26.jpg

This year I'll attempt to try to isolate which birds carry the gene. I'll just not be able to hatch as much.

I'm breeding for myself, not to show. And there isn't an American Poultry Association recognized Golden Cuckoo color. I have 2 breeding pens set up with a smaller coop that I've got to build a pen for. It can hold up to 4 birds, so I can Isolate a rooster and hen.

Is the creme gene expressed with 2 copies? The blue GCM would pass it to all offspring in that case. My dark single barred doesn't have the dark orange either. Don't know if that is how creme is expressed in single barred birds.

the Cream is dominant even one copy .

chooks man

he is good looking too . Cream genes is not allowing the Autossomal Red to express it self properly .
I like the Blue cuckoo pullets in his pen .well chunky .

you are doing very well with what you ve got .Bravo

chooks man

I guess I'll keep working with what I have. If 1 copy of creme is dominant, then I can pull any offspring that dont show it and work with those. I think my roosters are heterozygous for is as this is their dam:
2018-03-01 15.38.53.jpg

I guess I could just start a cream cuckoo marans color. Splash would be cookies and cream, lol

I guess I'll keep working with what I have. If 1 copy of creme is dominant, then I can pull any offspring that dont show it and work with those. I think my roosters are heterozygous for is as this is their dam:
View attachment 1279972

I guess I could just start a cream cuckoo marans color. Splash would be cookies and cream, lol

I think you are alright .
you have a nice type chooks so you don t need to add any thing to them .just breed them true . Cream Cuckoo Marans . sound good to me .
plus like you said there is not many SOP with a Golden cuckoo marans .

if you like it than breed it true my friend .

chooks man

E6BD1808-175A-42C7-A452-E907743ED87E.jpeg
38A81119-7BAE-4CA6-A20B-81CC5BC46BC7.jpeg
Hi all! I love this thread! Last week I received 2GCM’s from Meyer Hatchery. They look very different but from reading this thread I think that’s fairly normal. Do you all think I have two girls? Has anyone else had a GCM with such dark coloring as the one on the left? I am also wondering why the dark one has tons of feathers, while the other one just basically looks like a little fuzzball. These are for my backyard flock so I am not too worried about it. Just kind of curious.

Last edited:
I also have been following this thread i purchased eggs off of ebay from a breeder that has the most lovely GCM. I purchased her eggs and none developed. Determined I purchased an additional dozen from the same breeder and this time i have three out of 1 dozen hatch. The eggs were a lovely dark chocolate brown expected for marans but my babies do not look like anyone's on here sooooo do i have GCM babies here? I have a silver white with two light grey spots and a redish brown mark on her or his face the second is redish brown color with a white spot and the last is yellow head grey body which to me looks like a GCM so are the other two a different maran and if they are what type are they they all have feathered legs

Attachments

• 20180707_183554.jpg
    20180707_183554.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 10
I also have been following this thread i purchased eggs off of ebay from a breeder that has the most lovely GCM. I purchased her eggs and none developed. Determined I purchased an additional dozen from the same breeder and this time i have three out of 1 dozen hatch. The eggs were a lovely dark chocolate brown expected for marans but my babies do not look like anyone's on here sooooo do i have GCM babies here? I have a silver white with two light grey spots and a redish brown mark on her or his face the second is redish brown color with a white spot and the last is yellow head grey body which to me looks like a GCM so are the other two a different maran and if they are what type are they they all have feathered legs

Back
Top Bottom