Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Pics
I hatched some of chickie's eggs, plus I hatched some from my own cross: rooster from Fitz farm X clean-legged hen from Muddy hoof farm in Lubec. Now I have no idea who is who, as they all ended up with feathered legs. Eventually, I'd like to cross the darker laying pullets back to the rooster, although I am thinking of taking a year off from hatching (too many birds).

@chickie, the rooster seems to be doing well so far. Sometimes I see him fall asleep during the day and it makes me nervous, but I might just be paranoid. He also limps occasionally. I don't think it is bumble foot, so maybe a leg issue? It would be nice if he remains healthy for a few more years!

I like the term sprayer! Yep a couple of paint sprayers on my hens went kaput. At one point all 3 were laying nice bark brown eggs and then they just took a crap. I don't know the explanation for this. My whole purpose of getting this breed was for the egg color and nothing else. Nothing but bad luck with these and I would much raher have the black copper marans.
hu.gif

I like the term sprayer! Yep a couple of paint sprayers on my hens went kaput. At one point all 3 were laying nice bark brown eggs and then they just took a crap. I don't know the explanation for this. My whole purpose of getting this breed was for the egg color and nothing else. Nothing but bad luck with these and I would much raher have the black copper marans.
hu.gif

All varieties of Marans eggs lighten as they get further into their laying cycle. After taking a break, when they start laying again the eggs will be dark again.

I hatched some of chickie's eggs, plus I hatched some from my own cross: rooster from Fitz farm X clean-legged hen from Muddy hoof farm in Lubec. Now I have no idea who is who, as they all ended up with feathered legs. Eventually, I'd like to cross the darker laying pullets back to the rooster, although I am thinking of taking a year off from hatching (too many birds).

@chickie, the rooster seems to be doing well so far. Sometimes I see him fall asleep during the day and it makes me nervous, but I might just be paranoid. He also limps occasionally. I don't think it is bumble foot, so maybe a leg issue? It would be nice if he remains healthy for a few more years!

Poor guy! He sure has had a hard time. Sure hope he keeps going and stays well enough to breed and give you (and me!) some pretty babies with the pullets from my birds.

Come spring you can send me some of those dark eggs out of your gorgeous boy!
big_smile.png

Explain laying cycle please. If you are referring to winter starting and end of year, I did not have this problem with them the last 2 seasons. This began early summer spring of this year.

3 months and 1 week old Golden Cuckoo and black copper marans crosses. Starting to get some nice coloration. Pullets are starting to gold up too.

Father and son:

Last edited:
Golden cuckoo over Buff orp hybrid in some of my previous posts. Its interesting the different shape of a marans cockeral and the buff cross cockeral. I'd love it if I was wrong and its a pullet, but the wattles a month ago gave me the strong indication.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom