Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Pics
If I crossed my gcm rooster with some wheaten hens, would the barring be lost in the offspring and if so how would I get it back?
Hi Freddy - Have you ever used the online Chicken Color Calculator - http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator ? It's great for calculating crosses like you're wanting to do. According to the calculator, you will keep the barring in the offspring. The males will only carry one barring gene, though. This will make the dark color in their barring black instead of silver, which I actually prefer. In the spring, I plan to cross my Golden Salmon rooster with some GCM hens. According to the color calculator, I can create a true breeding Crele Marans in three years. I just hope I have the patience to stick with this project for that long. Good luck on your breeding project!

Hi Freddy - Have you ever used the online Chicken Color Calculator - http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator ? It's great for calculating crosses like you're wanting to do. According to the calculator, you will keep the barring in the offspring. The males will only carry one barring gene, though. This will make the dark color in their barring black instead of silver, which I actually prefer. In the spring, I plan to cross my Golden Salmon rooster with some GCM hens. According to the color calculator, I can create a true breeding Crele Marans in three years. I just hope I have the patience to stick with this project for that long. Good luck on your breeding project!
* I should have said that the females will keep their same barring, and only the males' barring color will be affected.

So I will get golden necked offspring with the barring too?
Yes, both your males and females will be gold-necked and barred. It took me a while to figure out how to use the calculator. Now I don't feel like I could live without it.
smile.png
Following are the results of crossing a GCM to a Wheaten:

Color Summary:
Female
50%, minimum of animals to breed: 2
black patterned gold -necked/birchen barred
Male
50%, minimum of animals to breed: 2
black patterned gold -necked/birchen barred
Checksum:

100 %

Last edited:
Is there anything I should be looking for in the wheatens I cross him with, eg colouring?
I don't know if there is anything specific you should look for in the Wheatens, but you might want to do more research before starting this project. I was playing around with the chicken color calculator and discovered some interesting things. We know that when you cross a GCM with a Wheaten, the offspring will all be gold-necked barred. But then, if you decide to mate the F1 offspring, the genetics involved will give you a variety of colors and patterns. Hopefully, there is someone with more knowledge than I have who can help you with this.

The gcm cockerel we are using has lots of barred gold on him, but not a lot of black and white barring, is this a problem?

I have 3 VERY redenned combs walking around all week!! They are the only ones due to lay anyday now being exactly 5 months old!! Pictures of eggs to follow soon, I hope

The gcm cockerel we are using has lots of barred gold on him, but not a lot of black and white barring, is this a problem?
Do your hens have dark barring? If so, they might balance out the gold. Only way to know for sure is to hatch some chicks from them.
jumpy.gif
big_smile.png

I have 3 VERY redenned combs walking around all week!! They are the only ones due to lay anyday now being exactly 5 months old!! Pictures of eggs to follow soon, I hope
Mine will be 6 months on the 16th, have had red faces for a month now, but no eggs yet.
hmm.png
Their mother was the last to start laying of her siblings. Wonder if genetics are playing a role.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom